044 wrist pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Trying to put the wrist pin in. Doesn't go easy and afraid to force it. I did heat the piston (heat gun) and put the pin in the freezer. No special tools here. So what tricks, secrets, what to do and what not to do?

Hope all is well and have a great one.

Should go pretty easy if you are using the right wrist pin.... Do you have a circlip in the piston on that side? 044 had a 10 and 12mm wrist pin option... You might have the wrong piston for the wrist pin. You for sure should never have to heat/cool piston/wrist pin to get it to fit.

Should go pretty easy if you are using the right wrist pin.... Do you have a circlip in the piston on that side? 044 had a 10 and 12mm wrist pin option... You might have the wrong piston for the wrist pin. You for sure should never have to heat/cool piston/wrist pin to get it to fit.
It's a 12mm saw. Pin and bearing go into the connecting rod just fine. It's tight going into the piston. Meteor piston so the pin and piston are mated.

And you are sure it doesn't have the circlip/keeper in the groove? I have put a lot of pistons in and have never had a problem with that part of it..... Did you try it going into both sides both the pin and piston.

I was thinking perhaps they sent him one someone had sent back and put the circlip on one side already... Only thing I can think of if its just not the wrong pin for the piston. Or the piston being messes up.

So I switched gears -- wanted to see how hard/easy the 034 pin was to set. Went in like greased goose dodo. :) So I decide to work on the 034, after all it's gotta get put back together too.

First circlip I worried in. Not easy since it's a tiny little thing. Put piston on the connecting rod. Now comes the fun. That far side circlip. I pushed, I prodded, I swore at it, I retrieved it half a dozen times (man, that little bugger is fast) and finally, bent it (the reason circlips are sold singularly). So, while I wait for new clips, someone tell how to get that little bugger in there, please. No special tools here.

Hope all is well and have a great one.

For the circlips, i start one side into the groove on the top left so the gap will be facing up, using needle nose pliers. i can work it about halfway, then i use my left thumb to hold the circlip in place while i put down the pliers and pickup the orange screwdriver, and i push the right side circlip in so it pops in place. i put one into the piston first before installing so you only have to put one one when its on the saw, i think its easier to install from the flywheel side. i put 2-cycle oil the wrist pin and pin bearing. i put both circlips on with gap facing up.

Went one step further with the screwdriver, put a notch in it. I was trying to use the screw driver as is but when I did that's when the clip made it's great escape. 30 sec. with the new screw driver and home free. :)

Attachments

• HOOKER.JPG
    HOOKER.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
Ha Ha cool beans...don't lose that one..i had one with a slight notch in the middle and lost it, in fact i'm on my 10th little orange screwdriver, don't know where the hell they all disappear to....good luck with the 044, i got a handful of 10mm ones i use and keep rebuilding for a buddy who's an arborist.

Ha Ha cool beans...don't lose that one..i had one with a slight notch in the middle and lost it, in fact i'm on my 10th little orange screwdriver, don't know where the hell they all disappear to....good luck with the 044, i got a handful of 10mm ones i use and keep rebuilding for a buddy who's an arborist.
I think I put mine in my coat pocket when I’m tinkering with saws and need fine tuning in the field.
Then I get carried away and run three tanks of gas through it and my wife starts yelling at me so I throw everything in the truck or tractor then poof. Little orange screwdriver gone. Good think my Marco guy likes me and gives me one every time I say “hey. I lost your advertisement driver” and he gives me a couple more.

If you make your notch near one edge of the screwdriver (I use a medium size blade stubby), you can put the edge of the screwdriver angled into the groove and then push the screwdriver up toward vertical and lever the circlip in. As Chief Dan George said in Little Big Man, "Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't."

Back