• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlguy

10 yo grandson using 024 Super
Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of selling my 044, purchased new in '95, along with my 031 they cut 7-8 full cords a yr. until 2012 when CAD hit. I now have 6 saws, I'm 65, I cut 7-8 full cords/yr. I can't see keeping a saw that won't get used much. It starts on the 5th pull cold(always has), 1 pull warm, 130# comp on 3 pulls cold. If anyone is seriously interested I will get some pictures, no trades, no tire kickers, no low ballers. I'm thinking $550 - $600 shipped to the lower 48. I don't have to sell it, just hate to have it sit around. Thanks.

ftkl8i.jpg
2yl791x.jpg
2d6vdl2.jpg
?????????

Kicking around the idea of selling my 044, purchased new in '95, along with my 031 they cut 7-8 full cords a yr. until 2012 when CAD hit. I now have 6 saws, I'm 65, I cut 7-8 full cords/yr. I can't see keeping a saw that won't get used much. It starts on the 5th pull cold(always has), 1 pull warm, 130# comp on 3 pulls cold. If anyone is seriously interested I will get some pictures, no trades, no tire kickers, no low ballers. I'm thinking $550 - $600 shipped to the lower 48. I don't have to sell it, just hate to have it sit around. Thanks.
10 or 12 mm saw what's serial number please

You can tell if it’s a 10mm or 12mm crankcase from the pictures. The crankcase has a step in it above the oil cap on a 10mm, where it is angled on the 12mm.
Not allways the case. True on a 4 mm case but not on a 5 mm case with a 10mm crank. I had 2 044 saws my 12 mm saw has an earlier serial then my 10 mm saw.

Not allways the case. True on a 4 mm case but not on a 5 mm case with a 10mm crank. I had 2 044 saws my 12 mm saw has an earlier serial then my 10 mm saw.

I’ve owned probably 40 044s and that has always been the case with everyone I’ve ever owned or worked on. I’ve never seen a low serial number 12mm. Not saying it’s not possible as it was possibly a running change, but I’ve personally never seen a low serial number 12mm, and I’ve never seen a 5mm case with a 10mm crank. Anything is possible, and I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule. It is hard to say however what was done during the saws life at a Stihler or someone’s workbench. The only 100% way to know is measure the wrist pin, but a 99.99% way to know is by the case if you aren’t willing to pull the jug. It is also possible that someone drilled the 4mm holes out and tapped them to 5mm on a 10mm saw as the newer replacement parts used 5mm screws.

So they changed parts then changed BACK??o_O
Cases were updated before the cranks 125454533 to 129583701 were 12 mm cases with 10 mm cranks. Anything after 2nd number was 12 mm cases with 12 mm cranks all being 5 mm cases. Anything prior to the first number was 10 mm case 10 mm crank being a 4 mm case. Therefore being anything after 125454533 will take either crank.

I’ve owned probably 40 044s and that has always been the case with everyone I’ve ever owned or worked on. I’ve never seen a low serial number 12mm. Not saying it’s not possible as it was possibly a running change, but I’ve personally never seen a low serial number 12mm, and I’ve never seen a 5mm case with a 10mm crank. Anything is possible, and I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule. It is hard to say however what was done during the saws life at a Stihler or someone’s workbench. The only 100% way to know is measure the wrist pin, but a 99.99% way to know is by the case if you aren’t willing to pull the jug. It is also possible that someone drilled the 4mm holes out and tapped them to 5mm on a 10mm saw as the newer replacement parts used 5mm screws.
Read the message I just posted thats how it gos.cases were updated before cranks. No my case wasn't tapped out. I got this info from a stihl mechanic a long time ago of 40 years whom had worked at stihl mid west as a tech.

I'm sure there are some exceptions. But as you stated before the only way to truly tell is to pull the cylinder and pull the wrist pin and put a micrometer on it. I also know for a fact my 044 12 mm saw wich is a hybrid now 5 mm case has a lower serial number then my 10mm 5 mm case saw. Wich happens to be a 5 mm case. To be frank about it were I was going in the first place is the step down in the case as you stated. And circled in your prev post doesn't determine rather it's a 10 or 12mm case saw either @Hdtoolmkr765

I'm sure there are some exceptions. But as you stated before the only way to truly tell is to pull the cylinder and pull the wrist pin and put a micrometer on it. I also know for a fact my 044 12 mm saw wich is a hybrid now 5 mm case has a lower serial number then my 10mm 5 mm case saw. Wich happens to be a 5 mm case. To be frank about it were I was going in the first place is the step down in the case as you stated. And circled in your prev post doesn't determine rather it's a 10 or 12mm case saw either @Hdtoolmkr765

That’s correct, that is a way to tell, I was simply proving that your previous information is not correct as I have a NIB 12mm saw that your information tells me is a 10mm. You know your saw hasn’t been drilled and tapped? I assume you have owned this saw since new then. Otherwise you can’t possibly know this. I have been a toolmaker/mechanical engineer for 25 years, I assure you, if those holes were drilled and tapped from 4mm to 5, you’d never know it. I was simply helping answer a question you had. If you want to disagree with the answer, that’s your call. I’m sure you know way more about saws than I do, I was simply just trying to help you tell the difference.

Latest posts

Back