046 Magnum Air filter and tuning questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmboy21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dad's 046 magnum has the original air filter (and everything else) that has never been changed, but he does clean it. Lately he said it's been losing power as he cuts with it. Says it's fine when he starts and then bogs down progressively. He decided he wanted me to put a new carb and filters in it. Well when disassembling it seemed as if the fuel tank sucked air when I popped the fuel hose lose from the carb, so I'm wondering if his vent valve isn't bad.

Anyway I ordered a whole Chinese kit off eBay and got the whole tune up kit. The original filter is an HD with wire mesh, an elastic band Pre-filter and a plastic baffle underneath. The new filter is a white paper (I assume) filter with the foam insert. So do I use the insert and leave out the baffle? Use the baffle and leave out the insert? Do I leave the pre-filter off, or clean it and re-use?

When setting the initial carb settings, what should they be? And do I tune it to 4-stroke, or should I use a tach?

*Note: I removed the spark screen from the muffler and opened the tiny little exhaust port up to roughly a 1/2"-9/16" hole.

Thanks!

I'd definitely have left well enough alone on the filter. The HD is a nice setup.

A carb rebuild was probably in order.

You can baseline the 046 from the markings on the air filter cover. I don't have mine in front of me, but iirc it's 3/4 turn out from lightly seated on both high and low needles. Tune from there.

Peruse eBay and the like for a dual port 046 muffler. They're great!

I'd definitely have left well enough alone on the filter. The HD is a nice setup.

A carb rebuild was probably in order.

You can baseline the 046 from the markings on the air filter cover. I don't have mine in front of me, but iirc it's 3/4 turn out from lightly seated on both high and low needles. Tune from there.

Peruse eBay and the like for a dual port 046 muffler. They're great!

Well it wasn't the good HD2...just a plastic backed HD. Plus it has a spot where it started to suck flat. It wasn't sealed well either, the lip that goes against the saw was like a double lipped hard rubber and it had sucked all kinds of sawdust. The new filter (granted its no HD2) at least has a nice foam ring that will create a good seal. I just need to know what combination I should use when I put it on. I've read that a lot of people toss the plastic baffle and either use only a filter, or they use the foam insert that goes inside the filter?

Please don't throw that aftermarket junk on your dad's good old 046. Clean and put a kit in the carb and put am OEM HD2 air filter on it.

Yea I know, but that's what he wanted me to do. He's a tight wad....that's why it's never been changed. But, so far we've had good luck out of the other ones we've bought for the weedeaters. It's already on the saw anyway, factory carb was full of sawdust....he said it was as cheap to buy a carb than to buy a kit....so it is what it is. I just need to know the best way to setup this air filter. If it runs good I'll talk him into letting me order a couple HD2 filters....one for the 046 and one for his 660. And I'll order a kit for the carb and swap it back out later. When I can find him a dual port.

The timing was good to treat him to OEM parts and call it Father's Day. Sigh.

Well I actually bought him some STIHL ultra oil and some tools....he hadn't said anything to me about the saw at that point. I put a carb on his junk Echo weedeater and gave it back to him at the same time and when it ran better than ever he told me to order a carb for the 046. He said to order a whole carb than to bother rebuilding it and when I asked if he wanted an OEM or China made , he said the cheap one, so I just did what he said.

Like I said, the cheap ones have worked for us, on everything else and in all actuality I'm guessing the "STIHL" carbs OR kits are made in China too.

If it runs like crap I'll rebuild it. But it's all assembled now. We'll see how it does when I get home from work.

Those AM filters aren't terrible. I don't have a ton of time on them yet...but I did buy a pack out of curiosity. I have HDs and HD2s. The AM are an attempt at the HD2.

Brad--/ any experience with 'em? Anyone else?

Well it wasn't the good HD2...just a plastic backed HD. Plus it has a spot where it started to suck flat. It wasn't sealed well either, the lip that goes against the saw was like a double lipped hard rubber and it had sucked all kinds of sawdust. The new filter (granted its no HD2) at least has a nice foam ring that will create a good seal. I just need to know what combination I should use when I put it on. I've read that a lot of people toss the plastic baffle and either use only a filter, or they use the foam insert that goes inside the filter?

You can use both. They're spitback guards and the foam will conform to the baffle after you tighten the filter cover. I don't know if one is better than the other.

I mean, he's got a champion plug in it, so shows how much he cares.
Haha. Now for that I'd recommend a NGK.

Eta-- here we go, but does anyone have any decent use on the Farmertec plugs they throw in on larger parts orders? I have about 8 of em. I didn't like the looks of the electrode or gap so I haven't tried one yet.

The apple does not fall far from the tree.. Use OEM parts dad will be none the wiser and YOU will be dong him a good deed! There is noting I would not have done for my dad. Just saying. a 13.00 carb kit and a 20.00 filter are not going to put me in the poor house.. :eek:

We're not talking about a $12.99 piston that has obvious issues, we're talking about the white pleated air filters that are quite popular and even supported by a few builders. Right?
Oh, and a carb that--- if it doesn't work--- would be pretty obvious to the OP.

The apple does not fall far from the tree.. Use OEM parts dad will be none the wiser and YOU will be dong him a good deed! There is noting I would not have done for my dad. Just saying. a 13.00 carb kit and a 20.00 filter are not going to put me in the poor house.. :eek:
Apple/tree reference to a single post on AS? God this place sucks.

Note to self--- when there are 5 posts in a row and they're all yours, time to relax. But...
IMG_2692.JPG
This crooked-ass pic shows all the recent filter options aside from max flo. Top- HD and HD knockoff (w crappy prefilter removed
Middle- the much-loved HD2
Bottom- the much-maligned knockoff HD2

Attachments

• IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    984.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    975.6 KB · Views: 16
The thumbnails above show the knockoff HD, Oem HD, knockoff HD2 w front view, and OEM HD2.
Takeaways? 1- I should go cut wood tonight. 2- the knockoff HD is poorly made but could work (haven't tried it yet). 3- the knockoff HD2 looks decent and hasn't given me problems in two 064s and a 460. Only 15 tanks through them total since I switched, tho.

Latest posts

Back