050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm in the process of building an 075 from a pile of parts. The cylinder I have doesn't have a decompression on it. There is a plug instead of a valve. So my question is, does anyone know the thread size of the vavle so I can make an adapter to put a newer style decompression on it? I have a few of these plugs laying around but nothing that will fit this 075. Or does anyone have one laying around they would part with? I have asked on the swap thread a few times and no offers yet.

Man, I just got a deal on an 051, runs great, but now it looks like it may NEED a bigger top end!!!!

Was going to flip the saw and keep the bar, but now she a keeper. :dizzy::msp_w00t::confused:

Has a working chain brake and a side oil cap, so I guess a later model??? Oils really well.

I'm off to the therapist to splain meself again

I'm in the middle of a possible oil pump swap on an 051 and sure wish I would have discovered this thread when it actually had the pics!!!
Here's a few pictures I happened to have on hand.

Attachments

• 076 oil pump2.jpg
    076 oil pump2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 076 oil pump.jpg
    076 oil pump.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 076 oiler.jpg
    076 oiler.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 67
As per Stihl (poster of 051); The 050AV launched onto the market in 1968. Consistently upgraded. The increase in power combined with the installation of an electronic ignition system made it necessary to enlarge the air filter housing thus distinctively changing the machine's shape so that it was finally renamed in Stihl 051AV in 1972.

I believe the 050AV always had the ball bearing at the ignition side and the cylindrical roller bearing at the sprocket side.

So here is our first contradiction. The service manual says; "051 and 075 crankcases are identical (I assume they are not inluding the diameter of the cylinder mounting holes) on machine numbers 9280310 up to 9281309 and from machine number 9422350 onward. On earlier versions of the 051 the crankshaft is supported in a ball bearing at the ignition side and a cylindrical roller bearing at the sprocket side"
Also;
"Early 051 machines had a breaker controlled magneto ignition. As from machine No. 3001400 exclusive use is made of the breakerless (transistor) magneto ignition system."

The poster implied the electronic ignition went on the 050 BEFORE it was renamed????

Here is a picture of a crankcase with the roller bearing, note the two mounts in vertical alignment behind the flywheel to mount the breaker system.

attachment.php

Another;
attachment.php

A later version (breakerless), note the two mounts for the trigger plate, one has a protrusion.

attachment.php

The 075 never had points and AFAIK shared the same ignition as the 051 (without points).

Thanks Rookie1 and Hedgerow,
Looking forward to more good reading. I'll work on getting some pics posted when I can. Funny thing about my 076, it now won't start. I'll plan to check for air leaks first and will replace the gas line and filter. Add new gas and will see if she'll fire up again. Sitting for 10 years I'm sure to find an issue or two to work on.
Arrow13

My local Stihl dealer says if a saw won't start it is OK to take the cover off the air cleaner filter and give it a shot of starting fluid. If it won't start on starting fluid (which is ether plus other stuff) then you know the problem is ignition not fuel!

Is the 056AV part of this line-up? Just curious because I saw one and it's not one I remember seeing before.

Thanks for posting this info! I'm in the process of going through a 075 right now and am dealing with the trigger module now, i think its bad. Keep the info coming if you have more.
Ive been through this and the best solution is to snip the trigger wires coming out the top of the flywheell
and install the nova II trigger unit and see the nice blue spark emerge from the plug

My local Stihl dealer says if a saw won't start it is OK to take the cover off the air cleaner filter and give it a shot of starting fluid. If it won't start on starting fluid (which is ether plus other stuff) then you know the problem is ignition not fuel!

In my opinion it is a hell of a lot better to actually dribble in a bit of 2 stroke mix.

Starter fluid is a gas. It offers no lubricating properties which will help avoid damage in a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine.
Especially so with a dried out sitting about old chainsaw.

I dont even have a can of the stuff in my workshop. But I do have a big horse size syringe with a short bit of plastic tube on the end.
Some of the rubbers on the plungers are a bit more fuel proof than others, pull the two halves of the syringe apart when not in use. Lube with spray when you go to use it.

So from the carb information post here I assume that a tillotson hs 60d is a new version but equivalent to a 60b? Great posting on this one guys!!

So from the carb information post here I assume that a tillotson hs 60d is a new version but equivalent to a 60b? Great posting on this one guys!!
I'd be assuming that too, but I don't know what the B -> D change was. They look and seem similar but I wouldn't like to say they're equivalent. Maybe someone here knows all about tillitson model designation...

I see lots of info that says it should work just nothing say yes it does. Tillotson shows the hs 60d fitting 051 and 076ave. I also found another site that says 60d is the replacement for the 075. I think ill round the one I have up and be the guinea pig on this.

Going to be reading this thread start to finish. Just scored a TS-760 (Brazil on the plate) and will be build into a saw... Great info. Thanks,

Installed the HS 60D and saw runs like a champ! So it's confirmed that the D is a replacement carb for this line of saws.

I'll have to get back to you but there is a replacement triggering unit from Stihl.
Two dealers had 075s for customers with no spark.
Fixed both of them.
Don't know if it is common knowledge and if it is......oh well. $40 I think.

Back