050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re the higher air filter cover.
I had 2 x 076 supers and 1 x 076 av and all had the same low filter cover with the three small cut out slots on the bottom (although obviously the supers sat higher due to the extra intake spacer).
I bought another 076av sight unseen and when I got it the filter cover was damaged so I bought a new one from my stihl dealer, when it arrived it was the high top one with no cut out slots.
It fits, its just higher, so my guess is that the high cover was simply an "improvement " which superseded the low cover. However like I said this is simply a guess i haven't tried to verify it.

So I am up to page 40 so far, and I had a couple questions.
Where can I look up the serial number to get an idea what time frame the saw came from? It looks like the serial is 8259719.
20180921_145310.jpg

Also, is this a manual oiler?
20180921_145323.jpg

So after getting through most of the thread. Would I be wrong to think that you have to use a right side chain brake case to convert a non chain brake 051?

Where can I look up the serial number to get an idea what time frame the saw came from? It looks like the serial is 8259719.

Not sure there is an easy way to determine age/vintage by serial number aside from scouring the service manuals and tech bulletins for design changes that have associated serial number brake points relative to the changes along with the associated dates of the service bulletin releases. Stihl has never been known for a rational serial numbering scheme.

If your saw is indeed an AVE (electronic ignition) it most likely falls somewhere in the '72 ~ '73 range since it doesn't have the chain brake. Not certain when they became standard issue vs. optional, but guessing it was around that general time period.

Pogo, just found your YouTube videos

'Cool'

Guess I will have to put putting a chain brake on it on the back burner. Has anyone converted one over before? I was hoping I could get away with just throwing the cover on it!

Re the higher air filter cover.
Just reading through the tech notes posted in the middle of this thread by Definitive Dave (thank you).
It appears I was right, starting with serial number X10138251 the higher cover (.43 inch) will be introduced to reduce air intake noise.
I still haven't fitted my new one yet so can't comment if it is any quieter than the others.

Has anyone had any experience with this seller or these exhaust covers?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-New-...vBbusG4:sc:USPSPriority!31905!US!-1:rk:8:pf:0

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one unless I can find one used someplace

The muffler cover on mine is broke and it is one of the only parts needing fixed minus some screws that are stripped out. I pulled a part number off of it but couldn't find anything to match it off of the cover 146 6008 1111. Which I am guessing that it is actually 1111 146 600820181010_164122.jpg

Have a read through the tech notes I referred to above to check.
But from memory that style of cover with the 2 rows of slots only fits the earlier mufflers. I think you will need to source one with the three rows of slots same as your broken one.
I have bought one of the three slot ones new from stihl.

Well I lost out on an ebay auction on a 51, but picked one up locally!

20181013_111036.jpg

Doesnt run but looks like a chain break 051. It also has a cracked handle. Gave 100 bucks for it. What do you guys pay for a 050/051 or a 075/076 that you would find locally?!

I paid $125 for mine as a very good and clean runner, but with the oiling issue. Spent around $100 more on the various approaches to the oiling problem until I was finally able to locate all the right components to get it working correctly. I see them listed as high as $350 in my area.

Have any of you guys seen a clutch like this before?
It's an early 076.
I think the original clutch shoes were fibre lined however I had a spare normal clutch and the unlined shoes fit straight onto the other yoke and work fine. 20181013_095808.jpg 20181013_101531.jpg

So I am guessing that this saw has the mounting point on the case for a chain brake but did not? Looking at the IPL it might of had a hand guard. If you get the clutch and associated cover with parts it could be pretty easily swapped over?

Attachments

• 20181014_125729.jpg
    20181014_125729.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20181014_125738.jpg
    20181014_125738.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20181014_125745.jpg
    20181014_125745.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I think all the cases (including the cut off saws) had the ears on the case for the handguard part of the chainbrake.
Your clutch cover doesn't have the interal castings to fit the brake band, cam lever etc, so you would have to source an entire chain brake clutch cover plus the hand guard to fit onto the ears on your case.
From what I can gather they are not easy to find.

Yeah I have gathered that. I am going to just keep an eye out for one. From the IPL it looks like the clutch is different than the one I have from that with one that has a chain break. I guess I will have to find a cover and see if it will work and if not then I will try to find a clutch from one that has one if I cant order them.

I think all the cases (including the cut off saws) had the ears on the case for the handguard part of the chainbrake.

Non-chain brake models didn't have the ears for the hand guard as illustrated by the bottom right hand case half in the first pic. The hand guard for those saws was attached to the handle itself as can sorta be imagined by the second pic.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Yeah rightoh,
That's the same way that the non chain brake 041's were.
You learn something every day.
Any ideas on my unusual (to me anyway) clutch?
Here is a picture of inside the chainbrake cover, it to is different from the others I have. 20181015_093244.jpg

Any ideas on my unusual (to me anyway) clutch?

Afraid I can't help you there without doing some IPL digging. Maybe @Rockfarmer will pop in again one of these days to shed some light on the recent topics. Dude has built a bunch o' these saws and knows a lot about em from hands on experience. I'm just the oiler expert and the guy with all the old IPL's. LOL

Back