050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
134f8cd15ef3f760fa2bf561adfec5c6.jpg
599229fca3e380f1788f74c2f0bfb823.jpg

This is the third new ignition coil so I know I’m not grounded somewhere. There is only two wires coming off the coil. The one that connect to the on/off switch and the spark plug wire. There is a white wire that connect back to the coil (see pics). Should there be a ground wire somewhere and if so, where does it connect to in the coil and then the chainsaw? Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gather you don't have a multi-meter.

Somehow the coil is not on the same ground as the switch or the switch is bad. Bear in mind the case (where the coil is mounted) is isolated from the handle (where the switch is mounted) by the A/V system. Pretty sure there should be a strap or wire connecting the two for the purpose of shorting the ignition when using the electronic coil. This would have been established by the connection of the kill switch to the older points based ignition system itself. Run a wire from one of the coil mounting bolts to a contact point somewhere on the handle. That should effectively establish the needed ground path between then case and handle. You could just use a piece of wire attached to a coil bolt with the other end stripped bare and touch it to the switch in the 'off' position as a test. Should kill the saw.

Thanks for the diagram. I had sure been scratching my head. Turns out, 2 brand new toggle switches were bad. Once again, third times a charm. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Looks better than new.
Why'd you go with the black muffler cover? To stop the white getting black stains on it from the exhaust?

Yes. Decided on the high temp paint for the muffler cover to avoid the Black getting on there. And I’ve thought about painting the lettering but not sure my hand is steady enough. It would definitely look better though.

Are you going to use the saw? I think you will still get a bit of black staining on the bottom back of the clutch cover, at least mine do.
But yours is almost to good to use, you will need to another one for use and keep that one on the shelf.

I was fine tuning the carb yesterday and was having a hard time because I wanted to do it with the chain on but didn’t want the staining on the clutch cover. Ridiculous I know. I have a Stihl 290 that I use so will probably just keep this one prettied up. I do want to bury it in a big log just to see how it does though. Decisions decisions. I dang sure don’t want to paint it again though. Lol.

628771d58de49f717dced5181bcd4776.jpg
b5eee30e117eb313f10dcd6258f23ca5.jpg

I forgot to post this the other night. I found this nut in the cylinder housing. This was the culprit to the initial demise of the saw. It’s one of the bolts that holds the carb in place. It had become loose, fell through the carb, and into the cylinder. Funny how you find these things as your digging through engines. Safe to say, the new nuts are nice and snug. [emoji1362]

Back