ArboristSite.com Sponsors

050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
I tore down my 075 tonight and received an interesting surprise! The piston in it looks way different than than the replacement I have! The old piston has big, rectangular lower ports and the new piston has rounded lower ports. Also, the old piston (and the new cylinder) have two ++ on them. In Mahle-land that means ”Super” p/c, does the same hold true for KS? Should I “port match” the new piston to the old ones’ specs? Any advice would be appreciated.
CF3BBF30-A7F5-44D0-935A-B2EDF1BD62ED.jpeg 4E0AD035-FC38-4330-88AD-3CA3B1635457.jpeg

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
What is the part number and source of the new piston? I'll hafta dig out my IPl's and look at that chain adjuster situation, too. I don't see why you couldn't easily accommodate an adjuster in the TS case like you propose.

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

The old piston is 2.286 inches in diameter at the skirts and the new cylinder is 2.288 inches in diameter at the low end. Does that mean I can re-use the old piston (with new rings)?

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
You could, but why? Stihl says you should use new pistons in new cylinders for optimum tolerance matching/performance and longevity -- not to mention to accommodate any subtle design differences not reflected by a part number update -- which occurred in several instances during the 1111 and 1115 era. Out of curiosity, are the cylinder transfers the same in both cylinders?

And on the chain adjuster -- looks like it may be easier said than done unless the case half is originally for a chain saw to begin with or you have the appropriate tools for the job. You'd hafta drill into the case the entire length of an adjuster bolt and then route out a channel for the adjuster itself. Not impossible, but would take some effort and patience -- and enough magnesium to make it happen. Could well be hollow under the surface just for weight reduction alone, On the other hand, could be solid for additional strength in the cutoff saw application. One way to find out. Or maybe someone will chime in who's already tried it -- successfully or otherwise.

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

The porting in both cylinders looks to be the same, but I'm not sure. Just to clarify, both cylinders are "good used" models, I just refer to the one on the saw as the "old" one and the one I bought as the "new "one. Both cylinders are KS with the same number, the only difference is the "old" one has an A at the end of the numbers while the "new" one has an E at the end and a + on each side of the KS logo.

trojokid5

trojokid5

ArboristSite Member

can any of y’all help me track down a new rear handle/engine cover and an exhaust where the port is at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trojokid5

trojokid5

ArboristSite Member