056 magnum exhaust question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevlar

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found a second muffler for my 056 mag it has the extra port that pokes out the side by the sprocket cover. My question is how badly does this muffler dirty up that part of the saw? It looks like it would make a mess. Thanks

Kevlar

It's not that bad if you don't let the saw idle a lot. At idle it'll spit droplets of semi-burned fuel out and make a blackened area on the case. If you just run the saw then the exhaust has enough velocity to clear that part of the case.

It's not that bad if you don't let the saw idle a lot. At idle it'll spit droplets of semi-burned fuel out and make a blackened area on the case. If you just run the saw then the exhaust has enough velocity to clear that part of the case.

+1

Oh no... a saw that might get dirty:greenchainsaw:

Easy now Andy:greenchainsaw: ! it's just the 045 and 056 are coming along quite nicely they will be cutting wood, just don't want to make it look like it did before I restored them.

Picked up an 056 with the dual port not running no tag guy wasnt sure what it was. how do u identify the mag II. The dual port has a tear drop shaped second port. Got it cheap. Top handle doesnt have the hump where the front handle connects like the super.

How? you read my 056Mag2 thread!

The problem with the external views.. is that stuff gets swapped around on these saws. Best way - take off the muffler. Look at the BOTTOM of the corners of the cylinder base. If they are undercut, its a 56mm cylinder...

i want an 056 so bad i can take it!!! preferebly a magII...I wouldn't even care if it had a full wrap!! every once and a while i read Andy's thread of the one that he built..so i can get my fix!!

Last edited:
Picked up an 056 with the dual port not running no tag guy wasnt sure what it was. how do u identify the mag II. The dual port has a tear drop shaped second port. Got it cheap. Top handle doesnt have the hump where the front handle connects like the super.

if i remember correctly the magII has notches or bevels cut in the corners of the cylinder head

i want an 056 so bad i can take it!!! preferebly a magII...I wouldn't even care if it had a full wrap!! every once and a while i read Andy's thread of the one that he built..so i can get my fix!!

lolol... AS soon as I'm finished with the spring garden stuff (yep I'm rubbing it in..) ... That thread will get a big boost with a NOS crankcase, bearings, crank and P&C... and a few other NOS parts... ;)

Oh... yes,,, you do WANT/NEED a full wrap Mag2...

lolol... AS soon as I'm finished with the spring garden stuff (yep I'm rubbing it in..) ... That thread will get a big boost with a NOS crankcase, bearings, crank and P&C... and a few other NOS parts... ;)

Oh... yes,,, you do WANT/NEED a full wrap Mag2...

YEEEEEE HAAAWWWWW. Caint wait.

Your not the only one that Andy got hooked on looking for an 056Mag2 in a big way! I finally found one and got it for a good price. However, even at a dollar an hour for the searching, I probably paid way too much! BTW, mine has no exhaust stains by the side outlet.

What can I say,After I get the new parts on this thing it will be like new so I want it to look good!

LOLOL you just had to use one of those NOS M2 cases!

Brad will be grinding his teeth...:greenchainsaw:

I've found the best way is to not be in hurry (unless your'e Brad;)). over a year I've accumlated most of an 056M2 NOS.. at decent prices... and now do the same with bridgeport mill parts.. Amazing what you spot if you check ebay (and other secret sources) every day...

Last edited:
A mag2 isn't a mag2 without the extra port!
Sorry I know this is a super old thread but the 056 magnum is a 54mm bore with the dual port muffler. 54mm super didn't have the dual port muffler. the 056 magnum II is a 56mm bore with the dual port muffler. Your welcome

Wrong information there buddy!

The 056 mag bore is 56mm, easy to remember that. They also used the front exhaust muffler port & the side tube, thus a dual opening muff. The mag crankcases are different part numbers than the 49, 50, 52, & 54mm bore saws too, as the mag cylinders have a wider 4 bolt bottom pattern.

The super is a 54mm bore, and it originally used a blinded front exhaust cover, so they exhausted from the side tube only. There are some early 54mm supers that used a front port only, and had no side tube port, so the cooling fins were not trimmed off on the lower front right side of the cylinder...

I sure miss Lakeside53, he is a super resource on all of the Stihl saws.

Wrong information there buddy!

The 056 mag bore is 56mm, easy to remember that. They also used the front exhaust muffler port & the side tube, thus a dual opening muff. The mag crankcases are different part numbers than the 49, 52, & 54mm bore saws too, as the mag cylinders have a wider 4 bolt bottom pattern.

The super is a 54mm bore, and it originally used a blinded front exhaust cover, so they exhausted from the side tube only. There are some early 54mm supers that used a front port only, and had no side tube port, so the cooling fins were not trimmed off on the lower front right side of the cylinder...

I sure miss Lakeside53, he is a super resource on all of the Stihl saws.
Gotcha. My mistake I guess i misunderstood the various models. I understood that the early magnum was a 54mm bore and magnum II was the later model magnum incorporating the 56mm bore. Both the early 54mm magnum and later 56mm magnum II utilize the same wider 4 bolt pattern.

Thanks.

Back