056 magnum exhaust question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned quite a few 056 Supers and 056 Magnum II saws over the years, but I've never even seen a 056 Magnum. If you have pics of a 056 Magnum I'd like to see them please.
Unfortunately the one I have I just completed the complete teardown on it. It is going to get a full on restoration. However due to the 13x17x14.5mm pin bearing not being available I'm putting a 56mm jug on it and putting an 066 piston, wrist pin and bearing in it, direct swap. That way you can use the 066 12x17x14.5 wrist pin which is readily available. The only difference is the skirt on the 066 56mm piston. It is .020 shorter than the 056 56mm piston and the 066 56mm domed piston weighs the same as the 056 54mm domed piston. The wrist pin is also lighter.
I could send pictures of the dual port muffler and the measurement of the cylinder and piston but I don't know if that would appease your curiosity.
I'm new to the site also and I'm not "tech" savvy so let me figure out the picture thing and I'll gladly send them to you. Also check out Ironhorse on YouTube. Look up 056/066 hybrid. In there he also refers to the difference between the 056 magnum and 056 magnum II as being magnum 54mm and mag II being 56mm.
The 056 magnum II was a marketing ploy/springboard to getting the 066 off the ground for sales. Here in the Pacific Northwest the loggers were in love with the 038 magnums and the 056 magnums. When the 066 came along they were hesitant about its performance. It had the same 54mm bore but the piston was a few grams lighter which resulted in much higher revs. Then the 066 magnum came out and had a 56mm piston that weighed the same as the 54mm 056 piston at 92.0 grams and the wrist pin was much lighter in the 066 as well. Again resulting in much higher revs.

this is what I got. Notice the beveled finish and the micrometer reading 54.00mm also the 056 magnum decal.

Attachments

• s-l400(2).jpg
    s-l400(2).jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200518_231126(1).jpg
    20200518_231126(1).jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 13
Never said I saw an expert!...What I did say is I've never seen a 056 Magnum with a 54mm cylinder.
Whats more, I see no reference to a 54mm Magnum in any Stihl 1115 series IPL or workshop manual.
The IPL doesn't specify the difference between the 056AV, SUPER, MAGNUM, and or Magnum II. Just the necessary parts for each application.

I don't have any pics, but I'd swear a neighbor has an 056 Magnum with the Magnum lettering in black. The saw was all original until a 3 foot dia pine log rolled over it and turned it into a parts saw. If it helps, it had a steel full wrap which means it was an early 056.

I don't have any pics, but I'd swear a neighbor has an 056 Magnum with the Magnum lettering in black. The saw was all original until a 3 foot dia pine log rolled over it and turned it into a parts saw. If it helps, it had a steel full wrap which means it was an early 056.
Mine has a steel full wrap handlebar as well. I'm just curious/asking because I'm doing a full on restoration of it and I want it to be "correct." Mine doesn't have a chain break however.

Back