064 and 066 Crank Case weight's and measure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IT's funny how these threads have a way of popping back up while I'm working on similar projects.

I'm building an early 066, and thinking about running the 064 flywheel and recoil.....Just gotta figure out my ignition flywheel options. I've got a few 064 "dog leg" coils, but they don't bolt into the 066 case. Not sure if I'm going that way yet, but it's food for thought to make a light 066.

Last edited:
IT's funny how these threads have a way of popping back up while I'm working on similar projects.

I'm building an early 066, and thinking about running the 064 flywheel and recoil.....Just gotta figure out my ignition flywheel options. I've got a few 064 "dog leg" coils, but they don't bolt into the 066 case. Not sure if I'm going that way yet, but it's food for thought to make a light 066.

JJ, has posted the info you need, one of the 064 fly wheels will work
with one of the more common later Stihl coils. One of the 3 064's
I have has this setup. But I have CRS right now :(

TT

Did you come across the part numbers for the 064 flywheel and coil combo for your early 066 build ? .... You guys have me itching to do the same combo!

part #

go to the baileys forum, grand dog sent me the part numbers.for the coil and flywheel combinations today.k

I thought I have a clear picture about 064 and early 066 case differences. Today, I found out I have a 064(?) flywheel-side case half that takes 6202 (15x35-11) bearing instead of the 6203 (17x40x12) bearing that all my IPLs indicate. This means it would need a different crankshaft? If so, does it need a different flywheel? Is that a Red Eye 066? The case has a part number stamped on it: 1122 021 0700.

IMG_5590(Custom).jpg

IMG_5593(Custom).jpg

From what I remember 064 and 066 (Flat Top) pre poly fly wheel all use same crank. In 1994 the crank changed from 12 to 13 needle bearings but would fit in 064 and all flat top 066's.
Then in 1996 crank was changed again for the poly FW. It will
not work in the 064 or flat top 066's.

From the info I have the FW side crank bearing is the same for
064,066 FT, 066 RT, 660, 650......and I think 088 and 880.

But check with someone smarter than me.

TT

Real interesting stuff!
I was working for Stihl just before the 064 came out,Stihl sent us 2 pre-production "Test" saws to send out to fallers for testing,guys were fighting over them.Worst problem was the air filters which allowed tons of sawdust to be injested in the engine,the HD filter fixed that.
Anyway the bearing differences can be remedied just by going to a bearing house and picking out good replacements,get the plastic cage ones and stipulate the extra number of balls(their book shows how many balls),of course buy top brand name bearings.
As for the flywheels my own personal thoughts are that the poly flywheels are crap.I've seen several fail,the inside hubs turns throwing the flywheel way out of time and the saw won't run.It's an expensive replacement.

I have a frankensaw. that is made of mixed matched parts. I have an 064 flywheel side of case with an 066 clutch side of the cases. It also has a 660 cylinder. This saw been used and abused and is not dead yet. I cut oak rounds 36''+ with it all the time. I have the 064 flywheel and ignition module and starter on it.

I thought I have a clear picture about 064 and early 066 case differences. Today, I found out I have a 064(?) flywheel-side case half that takes 6202 (15x35-11) bearing instead of the 6203 (17x40x12) bearing that all my IPLs indicate. This means it would need a different crankshaft? If so, does it need a different flywheel? Is that a Red Eye 066? The case has a part number stamped on it: 1122 021 0700.

IMG_5590(Custom).jpg

IMG_5593(Custom).jpg

This thread came up while I was searching case part numbers.. I was wanting to make sure 1122 021 0700
was a 064 case half.. Now I already ordered the flywheel side bearing as it is the cheapest.. Anyway when I read the size difference in the bearing for the case half with this part number I thought great I ordered the wrong size so I measured it.... Mine has the opening for the 6203 (17x40x12)..

Just found it funny same part number different size bearing...

Am bumping my own thread.

I had picked up a 064 and 066 for cheap cheap from dealer.
Guy I know was going to have them fixed, but it was going to cost
more than he wanted to spend. Owner didn't want to even spend
the money for estimate bill $35, so I did. Now owner want's his
saws back and thats fine by as long as I get my $35 back.

Anyway the deal is, owner thought he had two 066's and I think
dealer thought the same. As we talked about them for a few minute's
and i give him ever chance to say the one is an 064 not 066.
I never said a word that I knew one was 064.

064 is missing the 064 tag, I talked to owner on the phone, he said
he bought the 064 as 066. I see oil pumps and other parts listed
on ebay saying the parts fit 064 and 066. 064 oil pumps will not fit
066 and the other way around.

Have seen people post a picture of an 066 they just picked up
and it turns out to be 064.

Am bumping this thread so a few more may learn how to tell a 064 from 066.

Great info! was going to put 06 top on an 064 but i think now would better with an 066 for the extra strenght...etc....

This is a great and informative old thread with some good pics.

--I especially like the crate of grenades the case halves are sitting on in the first few pics.

i was going into my 064 pile.and i went looking for this old thread.i had it saved .great info.

Latest posts

Back