064 big bore exoloded on startup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d guess the exhaust roof and floor were flat and it snagged a ring in the port. Not surprising.
No port damage. The rings were both fine, the cylinder could have been reused (not that i would have) if i hadn't scratched it pulling the slug out. I had 5 of these kits on the shelf from Stens when they clearanced them 8 years ago. Paid 8 dollars per kit, every 066 i have rebuilt is still in operation, this 064 was the only issue. 2 of them are on small slab mills...these kits do hold up well. I had a 440 that the customer bought a mahle/$tihl top end kit and the piston to bore clearance felt off when i assembled it, it had a rattle when spun over. Took the parts to a dealer and they said the parts seemed out of spec and ordered a new set which went together fine. Crap happens...im just glad this saw runs and runs great at that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Did you check the squish with solder?
Was this done with a "base gasket delete?
If you used 5m screws in the 6m cylinder holes, wasn't there slop enough to be misaligned?
Guess there is reason Stihl used 6m screws instead of 5mm?
Btw, my phone is 4years old Samsung S7 active. Works titties.
Brad @blsnellerized had a post on here of one that did about the same thing.

Did you check the squish with solder?
Was this done with a "base gasket delete?
If you used 5m screws in the 6m cylinder holes, wasn't there slop enough to be misaligned?
Guess there is reason Stihl used 6m screws instead of 5mm?
Btw, my phone is 4years old Samsung S7 active. Works titties.
Brad @blsnellerized had a post on here of one that did about the same thing.
That sounded familiar haha. Had a .5mm gasket installed on it. The M6 are a no-brainer, im not sure why they used the M5 on the 064, i use these little tiny brass collars that slip over the m5 screw and fit snugly in the m6 bore on two opposed holes to hold it in alignment but going forward if i have an 064 apart ill just go up to the m6 screws, its just too easy to do.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back