064 carbs wanted.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trappermike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have lots of 064 parts? I'm looking for the Bing carbs that were used on the 064 for a short while,I'll pay cash or swap parts for a few.
The standard carb has been the WJ Walbro,but for a while our shop was getting some 064's with Bing carbs on them. They have Bing stamped clearly on them.:msp_smile:

It was kind an odd run of 064's at the time,the full-wrap(Handlebar) 064's were different from the half-wrap model 064's in 2 ways-one saw had a Bing carb while the other had the usual Walbro,and one saw had a Nikasil plated cylinder,while the other had a chrome plated cylinder.
I think they were testing and comparing the carbs and cylinders between the 2 models of 064...
I liked the chrome-plated cylinders better,it seems much tougher to me,although not used anymore.

It was kind an odd run of 064's at the time,the full-wrap(Handlebar) 064's were different from the half-wrap model 064's in 2 ways-one saw had a Bing carb while the other had the usual Walbro,and one saw had a Nikasil plated cylinder,while the other had a chrome plated cylinder.
I think they were testing and comparing the carbs and cylinders between the 2 models of 064...
I liked the chrome-plated cylinders better,it seems much tougher to me,although not used anymore.

It's funny that you mentioned some of those cylinders having a chrome bore.....I just built an 064 acouple weeks ago and the cylinder I used had a "brighter" finish to the bore. I've also noticed that those cylinders are marked "Stihl" on the outside, but don't say "mahle" anywhere.....I wonder who was making those chrome plated ones??....Nice quality though.

Out of the 9 or 10 064's I have played with only one so far has had a a Bing Carb.
It is on one of my 064's.

TT

I think all of Stihl's older cylinders were chrome,then they went to Nikasil like everyone else. The claims were that Nikasil was better for some reasons,ran cooler etc.,but I find that the Nikasil plating seems thinner and easier to damage. I know for sure that you can eat a hole through Nikasil with acid easier,or wear a hole in it from too much honing.
When I modified the 064's I used to try to use the chrome cylinders.
You probably did find a chrome lined 064 cylinder!
The Bing carbs used on the 038 Magnums some people didn't like,because the metering lever was plastic,so you couldn't bend it up or down. The trick to them,same as the 064 Bing,is to tap the inlet needle's SEAT with a flat punch one way or the other to get the correct metering lever height.;)

I might have one in a box of parts I've got. I'll check in a few minutes and see.

TriggerTime ,do you wanna swap that 064 Bing carb for something? Maybe you can find another couple... I would swap you a bored out 064 Walbro WJ carb for it,I have lots of them.

I've got one of the model 49. I can provide a picture for you.

I'm not sure what it came off of for sure. It was in a box of 064/066 parts I got a while back.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back