064 pull cord is breaking down but not on local shelves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any handle off of anything from an 044/440 and up should fit. My dealer stocks the elsto handles on the shelf, there isn't anything saw specific about the pull start handle/rope as long as the rope fits through the hole in the cover and winds smoothly on the reel. Lots of guys get the old snowmobile D handles and put them on bigger saws so they can get a good grip when starting it.

An 064 AV that is in good shape, like mine is, has huge compression. These were sold before the Elasto-Start handle and cord was invented. There is no decomp valve on these saws. So, it's a bear to start. I can do it, even at my age, but only if I pull a few times slowly while cold to get it ready. Jerking the handle when cold does not work. That will also wreck an Elasto-Start and make you wish that your fingers were made of iron. So, you must have some patience with them.

But, when they do start, this saw is an animal. They remind me of a Bengal tiger that has just been released by accident from a zoo.

An 064 AV that is in good shape, like mine is, has huge compression. These were sold before the Elasto-Start handle and cord was invented. There is no decomp valve on these saws. So, it's a bear to start. I can do it, even at my age, but only if I pull a few times slowly while cold to get it ready. Jerking the handle when cold does not work. That will also wreck an Elasto-Start and make you wish that your fingers were made of iron. So, you must have some patience with them.

But, when they do start, this saw is an animal. They remind me of a Bengal tiger that has just been released by accident from a zoo.
You can put on a decomp!!!!!!
A bit of machining true.........
And the Rescue handle helps.
Pushing 70 here so I understand. Lol

If the elasto start doesn't hold up, just get a regular Stihl starter handle and 36" of 4.5mm Stihl or competent starter cord.

That happens and is fixable unless the spring broke.

That’s an OEM recoil spring, yes. Consult ipl to confirm part #, but it is 1122.

They can be rewound, hook the end of the spring in the rewind housing and wrap it to the inside, in the housing, when it's all wound back up, put the recoil pulley back on, line up the end of the spring in the pulley. Put all the retaining hardware back on, wind it up, put the rope in.

Back