064 vs 056 magnum for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good evening folks! I currently own a 064 that I have been using with a small log Mill. A nice 056 magnum has come up for sale locally with a 50 inch bar for $650. I will be Milling mostly Hardwoods in the 20 to 36 inch range. I am wondering what people's thoughts are in regards to any advantage or disadvantage the 056 would have compared to the 064. I'm not sure which ignition the older saw has and any advice on how to identify that short of tearing the saw down would be appreciated. Thank you for any and all help!

Good evening folks! I currently own a 064 that I have been using with a small log Mill. A nice 056 magnum has come up for sale locally with a 50 inch bar for $650. I will be Milling mostly Hardwoods in the 20 to 36 inch range. I am wondering what people's thoughts are in regards to any advantage or disadvantage the 056 would have compared to the 064. I'm not sure which ignition the older saw has and any advice on how to identify that short of tearing the saw down would be appreciated. Thank you for any and all help!
If that bar is in good useable shape it wood be worth most of the cost. No knowledge on the PH20190515_134709.jpg
60" cannon that I got " just in case" last time it was used is in my avatar , an ash stump that needed a 72" bar to get the last slice. 661c the sprocket is drilled so a 1/4-20 bolt locks a 1" square upright of 6061 aluminum to provide 2" more cut.
You may do better in the chainsaw thread to find out about the strength of the two powerheads vs. Each other
Mill safe

The Bosch ignition has a flywheel with an aluminum fan that attaches to a steel core with screws. The sem ignition is a one piece cast flywheel. Pretty sure you would need to remove the starter to get a good look.

Not much readily available parts for the 1115 series(045, 056)Stihl saws. Ignition system is only one part that can fail and be an expensive hassle to fix. Personally I would pass unless it was in mint shape and intended to be added to the collection, at $650.00 even with that bar both would need to be super minty.

They tend to be hodgepodge saws in terms of badges not matching what is under the hood because of earlier repairs, at least around here. People do seem to think they should command a good bit of money, personally a used Stihl 660 or Husky 394/5 is a better choice in terms of functionality/cost over time, a Stihl 075/076 is waaaaay easier to source parts for and they tend to be less expensive.

Depending on the saws condition and which cylinder is actually on the saw it could have a whole new world of grunt compared to an 064, or be just a bit. Lots of variables in size and condition.

If that bar is in good useable shape it wood be worth most of the cost. No knowledge on the PHView attachment 737745
60" cannon that I got " just in case" last time it was used is in my avatar , an ash stump that needed a 72" bar to get the last slice. 661c the sprocket is drilled so a 1/4-20 bolt locks a 1" square upright of 6061 aluminum to provide 2" more cut.
You may do better in the chainsaw thread to find out about the strength of the two powerheads vs. Each other
Mill safe
Hi Tony
I don't see an oiler on the tip of that rig... how do you get by without?
Does the saws oiler keep up with your 60"
Thanks

Hi Tony
I don't see an oiler on the tip of that rig... how do you get by without?
Does the saws oiler keep up with your 60"
Thanks
Hi, I last used the 60" bar on the ash stump in my avatar, so it wasn't needed on the 2 slices from there. When the 42" is used the 661 oils enough, since when I began the pull side of the bar left too much under foot so just changed approach. Lacking any other experienced influence for a long while I've just kept that manner of milling. In the future an oiler will dribble a little to cool the loop. Archer chain grew too much from heat, Stihl on the other hand hasn't. But there is hope for the opportunity to come to fruition on a stump 5-6 feet diameter by a I'm told 20 feet. It may be red oak. Top was blown out.
Like a stopper was told this morning " I don't think there is another trunk in my future like this one" he bought a lot smaller slab. No idea what to price a 14 foot by 4-5"x 33-36" red oak mantle. 3x18x 9'10" was worth $100 in maple.
The2" extension, from hole in sprocket, on the 42" bar has kept me from walking away or mounting the 50" bar. Installing an Alaskan mill longer than 42" iza Royal pita. Just getting the 72" bar on with the chain was street theater for those watching me. I have wiggled the rig at the middle of a 38" dia to crimp the bark to let us continue. But those are more common in my area than stuff big enough to require much over 50" (46 1/2" max) or longer.
Andy: Ya'll, play safe

Back