066 Ignition Coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoytster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good Morning AS,

Went to start my 066 yesterday and the darn thing wouldn't start. Checked the carb, air filter, ect and everything seemed to be in order. Pulled the plug out and did a spark test, and no spark! I verified the kill ground wasn't engaging, checked the gap with the flywheel, and made sure it was bolted down snug.

So I went online to look for a new coil. Holy sheet, $125 for a new coil! Now I remember why I stay away from Stihl's.

Is there anyway to test this coil to make 100% sure it is bad? I'm assuming there is an ohm reading specification but I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Before I spend another $100+ on this saw I want to make sure the coil is my exact problem.

Thanks!

I thought their coils were under a lifetime warranty? But Im not sure

From my understanding, if the saw was purchased before March 2003, then the coil is lifetime warrantied to the original owner (parts only). Unfortunately, I'm not the original owner but the 2nd. After March 2003, it's 2 years parts and labor and 5 years parts only.

I could be wrong though....

I'm sure you could get one of the universal coils on auction for half that price. That's what I did for my 064. I don't know specifically about the 066 ignition, though I could look through my documentation if you give me the serial number of the existing module....

Try phone Dave Milliken, (Thechainsawguy), sponsor on this site. 250 282-0001. After me, he is the nicest guy on AS. lol. :D

Going to bring this back TTT. Does anybody know the way to test this coil before I go ahead and get another one? Thanks!

If that 066 is the age you say it is, it's going to have a poly flywheel and the only ignition that will work is part # 1122 400 1314. You can use the coil from a poly 066, 660, 046 or 460 only.:msp_thumbsup:

If I'm wrong and you have an aluminum flywheel, disregard everything I said....lol:laugh:

Going to bring this back TTT. Does anybody know the way to test this coil before I go ahead and get another one? Thanks!

Only test that is needed is to unhook the kill wire at the coil, if there is still no spark then the coil is bad. Could try removing the coil, cleaning all the contact areas and setting the air gap with a business card but I would not expect that to help if the previous test did not produce a spark.

Only test that is needed is to unhook the kill wire at the coil, if there is still no spark then the coil is bad. Could try removing the coil, cleaning all the contact areas and setting the air gap with a business card but I would not expect that to help if the previous test did not produce a spark.

Agreed. Don't waste your time with a multimeter if primary test fails.

If that 066 is the age you say it is, it's going to have a poly flywheel and the only ignition that will work is part # 1122 400 1314. You can use the coil from a poly 066, 660, 046 or 460 only.:msp_thumbsup:

If I'm wrong and you have an aluminum flywheel, disregard everything I said....lol:laugh:

Yep, It's got the poly flywheel. Thanks for the part number!

Thanks for the info. I already checked the contact on the kill switch and disconnected the kill wire. Gap is set correctly also. Still nothing. Guess it's time to get a new one. Thanks!

Back