084 No spark how to diagnose problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ECE7C5AC-896B-4219-B7AD-F14E369ACEEE.jpeg Afternoon gents. I’m trying to recommission my old 084 and it has no spark. I have tried two new plugs so that can be ruled out. I’m a tard when it comes to electrics so any ideas on what to do before just buying new parts? It has good compression (120) although it does drop when left and the top end looks lovely.

I know nothing is real without pictures so I have put one up

View attachment 736074 Afternoon gents. I’m trying to recommission my old 084 and it has no spark. I have tried two new plugs so that can be ruled out. I’m a tard when it comes to electrics so any ideas on what to do before just buying new parts? It has good compression (120) although it does drop when left and the top end looks lovely.

I know nothing is real without pictures so I have put one up

Nice looking saw there. As already said, the coil/electronic module in this case is the likely culprit. Unplugging the kill wire is the first step as it may be grounded somewhere, unlikely but can happen, check for spark again. If no spark check to determine the gap between the module and the flywheel referred to as the air gap, should be around .012 - .015, if its in spec then its the module has gone bad.

Nice looking saw there. As already said, the coil/electronic module in this case is the likely culprit. Unplugging the kill wire is the first step as it may be grounded somewhere, unlikely but can happen, check for spark again. If no spark check to determine the gap between the module and the flywheel referred to as the air gap, should be around .012 - .015, if its in spec then its the module has gone bad.

Thank you. The air gap spec of .012 - .015...is that inches...over here we use mm. I'll search up a converter :)

Yes, I an always plagued by folks "guessing" that they have no spark, then want to send the coil back, telling E-bay that it was defective.....
They always win, and I have to pay the shipping both ways......

Why do you think it is not getting spark? Did you test it? If you think it is not getting spark because it won't start maybe the low compression is to blame. 120 is low in my book. Mike
Pulled the plug, held it to the head, pulled the starter, no spark?

Yes, I an always plagued by folks "guessing" that they have no spark, then want to send the coil back, telling E-bay that it was defective.....
They always win, and I have to pay the shipping both ways......
And I’m plagued by ebayers selling crap or misdescribing items...not that I’m saying you’re like that

The older saws put out a much more visible spark, thes newer models put out a weak looking spark, and takes plenty of rpms.
You need to remove the starter and unplug the kill wire, then re-test.
Also snap a pic of your flywheel/coil.

The older saws put out a much more visible spark, thes newer models put out a weak looking spark, and takes plenty of rpms.
I’ll get on it. Thank you

855CCAC5-2F7B-440F-9046-EBB75D5A55DB.jpeg
Look what I just found...I’m thinking that should be connected :omg:
Top man :numberone::clap:

Thank you. The air gap spec of .012 - .015...is that inches...over here we use mm. I'll search up a converter :)
Yes that is inches converts to around .31mm if my calipers are correct. I am an older machinist,we learned in inches,feet and yards back when, then our country`s leadership changed us to metric overnight, I still think in inches, sorry.

Only needs to be connected to kill the saw, that`s the wire that was suggested earlier to be disconnected to see if it was grounding,thus shutting off the spark to the plug.
No need to apologise, I use a mix of imperial and metric all day long. Dammit about the wire then...perhaps I got this far with the saw before and gave up. I think I’ll drop it into the shop and let someone that understands electrics sort it for me. Thanks for the help so far fellas

Back