084 No spark how to diagnose problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it is pretty simple, no spark with the kill wire disconnected = bad ignition/coil.
Ok thanks. So I guess all I can try before buying a new one is checking the gap is correct...undoing the 3 fixing screws, slotting an appropriate feeler gauge / Chinese business card between the module and flywheel, re-torquing and re-checking for spark?
Would u recommend genuine Stihl or eBay for this part? The saw is definitely worth the investment :chainsaw:

I only sell the OEM stuff, I cannot recommend the aftermarket stuff,

good quality is hard to predict there...
That’s good to know....would u ship to the uk if I promise not to send it back :laugh:? I’ll try re-gapping first, then I’ll pull the ignition coil off a parts 084 I have to see if it works, hoping it’s the same version, and if these fail I guess there’s nowhere else but a new one. I’m definitely not taking the one off the 084 that’s working, that would be asking for trouble. Thanks gents

You must be new at working on small engines.

Steve
Yes, pretty clueless about it all tbh. Basic checking for fuel and spark on site is as far as I’ve ever got. I’m 43 and up to now it’s always been about getting the job done, earning the money and moving on to the next job. If a tool stops working I pick up the spare and we keep moving. Broken tool gets put away and at best looked at by someone on the team who knows a bit more than me, at worst it lies in the corner gathering dust. A bit older now and the pace of work has dropped and I’m more inclined to try get stuff working again; a saw has always been nothing more than a tool to me but now I’m starting to appreciate them as ‘characters’ of their own

Sounds like my son inlaw, knows jack about an engine, no matter what's it's in. He told me recently that after watching me and my brother work on different stuff, he's finally picking up on a few things. When I was younger, if something broke, you fixed it. Wasn't no spare or going and getting a new one. Money was tight back then so you learned how to repair everything. Only time I remember dad taking something in to get repaired was the tv, none of the tubes would power up and none tested bad. Ended up being the power supply in it. Of course that's when candy could be gotten for a penny.

Steve

I’m learning loads just searching old thread on this site and asking questions. The 038 super doesn’t need the top end rebuilding for work purposes but I think doing it will be a good way to start and I can only get better from there.

I used to have a 1996 Toyota Celica GT4 which I did all the work on myself (to relax and save money); I did everything up to and including taking the engine out and replacing the clutch but in terms of getting inside the engine the deepest I got was taking the rocker cover off.

I first got my tree felling licences in 1998 and luckily there has always been good money in trees in the UK, certainly enough to be better use of time taking another tree down and keeping moving than spending a few hours learning about and looking at a faulty saw. A work colleague that has been in the game longer than me has had the same approach and wow does he have a lot of old saws that probably don’t need much attention to get going again

Sounds like my son inlaw, knows jack about an engine, no matter what's it's in. He told me recently that after watching me and my brother work on different stuff, he's finally picking up on a few things. When I was younger, if something broke, you fixed it. Wasn't no spare or going and getting a new one. Money was tight back then so you learned how to repair everything. Only time I remember dad taking something in to get repaired was the tv, none of the tubes would power up and none tested bad. Ended up being the power supply in it. Of course that's when candy could be gotten for a penny.

Steve
I even went to electronics school and have fixed a few tvs. Gave it up though, chainsaws are simpler...

I only sell the OEM stuff, I cannot recommend the aftermarket stuff,

good quality is hard to predict there...

I can attest to this: a guy brought me an aftermarket coil for his 025. Coil works... Shut off function does not. I dunno about you but I don't want to operate a saw you have to pull the plug wire on every time you're done using it.

I even went to electronics school and have fixed a few tvs. Gave it up though, chainsaws are simpler...
When I worked on my car I bought a basic vehicle electrics book to try and get my head around it, failed miserably. It’s all voodoo to me

9AB4C3CF-67FE-49C7-81E2-36422ADA5AC3.jpeg AC9281C9-0B8D-4D5B-8988-FF294C7BF829.jpeg 600C9115-FA1E-4557-828A-ECD591EDA395.jpeg
Yeah, a good used one works even better!
Bugger, looks like the parts aren’t interchangeable; I assume the parts saw has the older version coil?

I also found that the highest of the three screws (closest to the spark plug) securing the coil will not torque up firmly without spinning; I will get that helicoiled as it will only cost £15.

Also, my local Stihl dealer says they can get me a new ignition coil for £145 which isn’t too bad...but they also told me the 084 model only came with one type of ignition coil?? so I need to make sure they get the right version. Hopefully their epc will have parts illustration.

Back