084 vs 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trappermike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When the 084 came out we expected big power from it but it really wasn't there,we tried all kind of mods but it just didn't meet expectations,but was super reliable and no problems. Then the Husky 3120 came out,I worked for a dealer for them then. What a nightmare,everything on the 3120 was @@@@ed ,the mounts felt like floppy springs that all quickly broke in less than a week,the carb was horrible,no choke plate,a pathetic primer that was supposed to soak a piece of felt to start the motor,the primer was made of too-short pieces of cheapo hose that was too short and came off or kinked,starting this thing was very hard. When it ran the carb was horrible,the throttle cable was thin as a hair and broke quickly,this thing was a nightmare to even keep running even for a day. We sold 3 and they tormented me until the guy replaced them with 084;s,then I never saw him again.
A year or so later Husky asked me if I'd make a hotsaw for the upcoming event,give me a new demo saw,when I got this saw a huge piece of plating was gone above the ex. port(even though it was new) so I couldn't help them.
Far as I'm concerned no contest,the 3120 was the most problem-plauged new saw I've ever seen. Maybe they fixed them but I will never work on one again.
The 084's however turned into great saws without the horrible flaws of that monster.

When I was a husqvarna dealer tech the 385xp and 575 were the problem childs in 2005. Literally seen hundreds of these two saws come across my bench in one year with crank bearing and crank issues

they havent put primers on 3120s in like 15 years, i think you may wanna revisit one built a bit more recently. 084 parts are scarce and stupid expensive. u can buy a brand new 3120 for about as much as people want for a clapped out 084. i know which id rather have.

they havent put primers on 3120s in a loooong time, i think you may wanna revisit one built a bit more recently. 084 parts are scarce and stupid expensive. u can buy a brand new 3120 for about as much as people want for a clapped out 084. i know which id rather have.

I much prefer the feel of an 084 when I am running or racing them but the 3120 is the preferred platform for race builds especially the bored and stroked pipe saw class 0-140cc
I'm not saying an 084 cant be built to win but they are few and far between that actually do

Back