1/2 functional junk vs. yard monkey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Old chevy pickup, wore out 350, sticky float in a Q-jet.

Yard monkey has been using this pos to run in and outta the small cut 4 minutes from the shop. so the monkey runs it outta gas. Dumps some more in it, and naturally the q-jet sticks. Simple tap on the carby should have cleared it.... but no. I was climin' outta the shower and get this tale of the truck in the middle of the county road and it won't go. I was plannin on a nice dinner, but first I gotta go explain to the monkey the first thing is to turn off the gas, like we got plenty eh? Slip a clamp around the fuel line, and whirl the motor eventually it fires up (on about 6 cyl...) runs for a bit, and starves for fuel. Okay. Tap tap tap, and try it again with fuel. Flooded again. Float is really hanging up... Now what? Clamp it off, and when it starts barrel for shop! Got half way, put fuel back on it and got it done.

I will figure out what happened to that q-jet, was working pretty well. Biggest problem was keeping a couple of cylinders firing.

So, the answer is to use the other truck! The dodge has a better engine in it, as long as the 208 don't fly apart we be good.

I would just remove the Q-jet, take the airhorn off, and replace the needle and seat. Possibly a new float too after inspection.
For a quick fix anyway.

It's that little two cent clip that holds the needle. Junk. Just too teeny tiny wuss. If it was three cents cost proly last forever.

love 'em or hate 'em

The q-jet has folks on both sides of the fence.
I have one that works -perfectly-. The one that screwed up didn't work that great. And got worse. if I was to judge based upon carb #2 then they all suck.

Same with the chevy. Or the Dodge. Or the Fords. Or the Stihl's. Husqvarna's etc.

rottenchester quadrajunk. Stick a carter afb or edelbrock 600 on it and be done with it.

There. You see what I mean? this gentlemen has his opinion. He is entitled to it. And I am entitled to my q-jet.
I have two trucks running with the edelbrock versions of the afb. They work well.

I am sure someone has a Holly 4bbl that is working well for them. I didn't have good experiences with them, does that make them bad carburetors? I am sure someone even has a perfectly operating thermo-quad.... I've never seen it.

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back