1/2 ton pickup woodhauler reality check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has any of the big three ever made a one ton chassis with Independant front suspension. My 95 chevy 2500 has it but when it's days are over I wanna go up to a one ton.
The reason for this question is that I have owned ALOT of different 4X4s and my 95 gets around in the snow and slop way better than any other truck I have ever owned and I THINK it's due to the front suspension.
I use my trucks HARD and I'm not real nice to em so a one ton chassis will put up with the abuse better.
ry%3D400

Last edited:
The reason yours probably gets around better is the extra weight from that utility bed, not IFS:)

That said, for reliability and durability in a 3/4 or 1-ton, a solid front axle is what you want.

I would hihgly recommend you check the actual age of the tire
http://buyanauto.blogspot.com/2008/07/tire-age-code-determining-age-of-your.html

This link shows you how. I suspect the tire where/are a lot older than you think.

Well, the 3 Dodge trucks were bought new and the Michelins were what came on them from the factory. Trucks were less than 2 years old when we got rid of the tires and started at less than 1 year. Never checked the dates on those but I don't think Dodge would stockpile old tires and install them.
Red truck in the pics tires were exactly 3 years old. Why are E rated more prone to failure with age than standard tires?

Has any of the big three ever made a one ton chassis with Independant front suspension. My 95 chevy 2500 has it but when it's days are over I wanna go up to a one ton.
The reason for this question is that I have owned ALOT of different 4X4s and my 95 gets around in the snow and slop way better than any other truck I have ever owned and I THINK it's due to the front suspension.
I use my trucks HARD and I'm not real nice to em so a one ton chassis will put up with the abuse better.
ry%3D400

AIM, I have an 01 GMC K2500HD w 8.1/Allison,and a factory locking diff. I also have a Dodge/Cummins.I am a super at a golf course,over 100acres.I routinely drive the course in the winter in my 4x4 truck to make sure everything is ok,esp after a wind or ice storm.Like you ive owned a lot of 4x4s in the last 15 yrs,I had 5 IFS 4x4s and 2 Dodges w solid axle. With equal tires,and weight there is no comparison,the Dodge goes thru stuff that will frame hang the GMC. We have about a foot of snow on the ground now,with some layers of ice in between,its too deep to run the GMC thru,it will get stuck.The IFS is good,but they sit a bit lower,all around,the frame as well.If you lift them a bit,im sure they would go as good as a solid axle.I am not a believer that a solid front axle is best,the IFS is a proven setup,and its strong enough for 99% of the ppl who buy them.The only time IFS trucks break anything is when owners lift them with aftermarket keys,or crank the bars way up and run the CV joints at angles they weren't meant to run at,then subject them to extreme loads.
AIM,you look to have a light duty 2500,7200 GVWR,with a 14 bolt semi floating.That truck is really a 1/2 ton with a heaver rear axle,and springs.You are way overloaded in your picture.Big difference between that truck and a 2500HD.To give you an idea,your rear axle should have a 4800lb rating,the one in my GMC is a FF 11.5 AAM,with over a 9000lb rating,its limited by the tires/rims only. Those older GM trucks are great trucks,I had a bunch of them,they werent powerhouses,but got the job done, were very reliable,and comfortable to drive.
BTW, I love your homemade OWB,and the truck.

Last edited:
nice hijack guys.
everyone knows that there are better woodhaulers than 1/2 ton trucks.

I'm just a one house heating guy trying to share my own experiences.

I bought my 265-70-lt17 firestone destination ATs based on many good online reviews and advice from a friend who has installed many of them on work trucks with good results.
I haven't typically been a firestone fan, but decided to give them a chance. They have kept me safe and confident in the snow/ice so far.

They ride well and should handle what my truck can.

markbuilt, the "clunk" never happened in a straight line. once I found the problem, the sound made more sense.
somehow when changing directions it would show up.also, when one tire would drop down a step efore the other it would clunk.
hard to explain, but i hope that helps some.

Last edited:
AIM,you look to have a light duty 2500,7200 GVWR,with a 14 bolt semi floating.That truck is really a 1/2 ton with a heaver rear axle,and springs.You are way overloaded in your picture.Big difference between that truck and a 2500HD.To give you an idea,your rear axle should have a 4800lb rating,the one in my GMC is a FF 11.5 AAM,with over a 9000lb rating,its limited by the tires/rims only. Those older GM trucks are great trucks,I had a bunch of them,they werent powerhouses,but got the job done, were very reliable,and comfortable to drive.

Yes it's just what we call a heavy 1/2. "6 lug wheels"
I load it like that all the time and you can tell when you drive it. Clunks and rattles quite a bit. U joints are gettin sloppy. Rearend clunks. Tranny sometimes has to think a bit before going into gear and the list goes on.
Regardless of all that and the fact that it has the super powered fire breathing 305 under the hood this thing will crawl through stuff that I never dreamed it would. It met it's match this weekend though. Got myself hung up in a long drift to the bottom of the doors. Son in law couldn't pull me out with his dually but managed to get me back a few feet to where I could go back and forth and inch my way through the drift.

Back