1/3 cord free Apple Wood... craigslist score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
one of the biggest apple trees I've ever seen.
got blown down in the last wind storm.

the lady advertised on Craigslist as free apple wood....
was the first to call her back... said I'll be right down with my chainsaw.

asked her how big was the tree... she replied 12-15in diameter. I thought no big deal standard sized apple tree around here. an 026 should do the job, but took the 046 out of habit.

got there... apple tree was at least 24in DBH... sure was glad I brought along the 046 instead of 026. had to split logs sideways down to size to be able to load without killing me.

loaded up much as I could in my truck with camper shell on. temps was 100+ degrees... I'd go back to get another load, but it's probably all gone from the hoard of folks wanting apple.

HOT work, but worth it to get a load of apple!
can't wait to smoke a load pork and brisket.... ymmmmm...

apple wood.JPG

Last edited:
HOT work, but worth it to get a load of apple!
can't wait to smoke a load pork and brisket.... ymmmmm...

apple wood.JPG

( In my best Homer Simpson voice ) Mmhmmmmhmmm, Apple !

I scored some pear wood recently and I'm hoping to see what poultry will be like with it. I lit a few splinters of it and was pleased with it initially. But Ahpppple, Mmhmmmmhmmm.

When you smoke meat with apple wood (or any other wood) do you use it as green wood or do you dry it and then soak it for a while in water and then burn it?

When you smoke meat with apple wood (or any other wood) do you use it as green wood or do you dry it and then soak it for a while in water and then burn it?

I throw it on there after it is seasoned and close the air damper. Rule of thumb for smoking is when the smoke is white it is right. Black needs more draft....

Gotta love those Craigslist scores, especially for good bbq wood!
Has anyone else noticed that wood cut and properly seasoned gives a much better flavor to smoked foods than the wood chunks sold in most stores?? The store bought stuff must be kiln dried or something :confused:

Apple is for cooking only... it's too hard to come by for anything else!

got 4-5 cords of oak put up for next season. would like to put up another 5 cords of oak. got a rick of so of Pecan & hickory for smoking.

will be mixing green apple with seasoned pecan to see how that works. don't think I'll be able to stand waiting 4-5 months for the apple to season.

Good score! Are you going to use some for heating this Winter too or mostly for cooking? Awesome wood....:)

I would have unloaded it and called her right back to see if it was still there. Those 100+ temps would keep a lot of people away.

Danny

Back