1 days worth...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftyz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Show me what one day's worth of firewood looks like to you...

Here's mine, this should last 24 to 30 hours..

rps20140207_173322_398_zpsc9e66a7c.jpg

I think that load would run my OWB for 36 to 48 hours.

I'm just using an old box stove (I guess it's an "Earth" stove?)

It barely heats my house, but I'm putting in a new furnace in the basement this summer, and a new wood stove too.. Next winter this house is going to be warm, gosh darn it!

I think I use up to 400 litres aday (0.1 cord) - when it is serious
winter - but then a bit more sort of "thrown measure" - not as
"precision loaded" as in the first picture of this thread ... .

Edit: This is in a house with no other heating source in use (exc-
ept "support heating" in one room to prevent freezing when I
am gone ...).

You need to specify if this the sole heat or if those pictures are representing true 24 hr total heating with a backup furnace of some kind . I use two arm loads one for each 12 hr cycle in my wood furnace now if it's super frigid and wife is cranky that could be more like 3 arm loads

About the same amount of wood for me for 2 days in a semi new small epa.
Your smoke dragon must be better than you think.

I load three times a day. Usually around 5 splits at a time depending on ash levels!
House stays average 70-72 degrees.

It may be good insulation or it could be the stove! I would love to say it's the stove but have nothing to compare it to other than the old fireplace. The splits are decent size splits too!

2 days worth right here. didn't want to move it out of the pic to make one days worth sorry!
That is for a 2000 sq ft bi-level and outside temps between 0 and 15 degrees. Smoke Dragon!View attachment 332519
That would last me about 2 1/2 days here with overnight temps in the teens and highs around 30. 2,000 square foot ranch style, single story solely heating with Osburn 2400 insert.

Mid winter like now, one slightly over the sides wheelbarrow of random whatever grade b,c,d species, a few oak or hickory splits or rounds, a quarter bucket of splitter junk from the ground and/or busted up twigs, and one big fat ugly or crotch or round for the all nighter. I have done as much as two wheel barrow loads, but that was exceptional, Christmas day three years back when we got a real nice snow and it was cold out. Just fed the smogger all she could eat, just because.

I think it looks like 200 litres stacked volume = 200 KW in
the original picture of this thread - should heat an average
sized reasonable well-insulated house two days or so at fre-
ezing - if you have a more or less 100% efficient wood pan
connected to water tank and water radiatotrs with circulation
pumps etc, that is ... .

original pic is one days worth, old inefficient cracked wood stove is basically sole heat source. just got a 23,000 btu kerosene heater to help. heating a drafty ranch in sub zero lows, 20 deg highs..

I'd burn more if I could wake up and get out of my cold bed a couple times over night, but as it is, getting up at 6am there is just enough coals to get it started again using cardboard pieces and kindling..

Bushmans,

Yeah tough to define all the variables for quantity of wood needed but on average what you use is about the same as me.
My house ends up being in the mid 80s every day, wife likes it nice and warm and she tends the fire most days.
My place is insulated real well so it doesn't take much to heat and when hot stays that way for a long time without the need for more than the occasional split.
Only days for me that I go though mass quantities of wood are when it's real windy and the stack itself has trouble staying warm, I think for me it's the short chimney pipe set of around 10ft in total that hurts fire efficiency on windy days.
The short stack is wonderful on non windy days and cleaning it is almost never needed but like anything that works well on one aspect it has a down side.

Seems like we have had more than our share of cold and windy wood absorbing days this year LOL

We certainly have had our share! I sometimes find myself loading wood when I don't need to just because I enjoy the whole aspect of it and I giggle every time I look at the lonely propane tank outside. Last night I packed the firebox full. I had about 8 pieces in it. I didn't need that much but I just can't help it sometimes. LOL
This morning I awoke and the house was at 76 degrees. Oops. A little overkill but I went downstairs and stirred the coals into a pile and I won't add any more wood until probably noon or so. I didn't get as cold last night with temps around 5-7 degrees. A high of 18 today and if the sun comes out then that will delay my loading even further!
Yesterday I had it 78 in here and that was just way too hot to be fully dressed. I only like it that warm in the morning when I'm lounging in my "soft" clothes!

That amount would probably last me 2 to 3 days. I have an old smoke dragon but I don't load it up at night. Usually let it burn down and have coals the next morning at 4:30 when I get up. That is the only heating source I use.

Bushmans,

LOL I hear you on the frown of the propane man.
We heated our house for many years with oil and been so long since we ordered a delivery the company doesn't even call any more LOL
I insulated the oil flapper about 5 years ago to stop the draft :)

Got to love the fireplace thing, not much more satisfaction than making it whatever temperature you like inside and be able to warm up good and toasty after snow throwing or being outdoors for to long.

I can't imagine going back to the thermostat watch and giant bills even with keeping the house just warm on fuel oil.

uploadfromtaptalk1391902886136.jpg two days for me.other than two Edenpure heaters in bathrooms no other heat source turned on.I have a 5 KW electric for second floor and a 125,000 btu gas on first floor.neither one (other than to check for operation) has been turned on in three years.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back