1 days worth...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I don't have a picture of a days worth but holy smokes, some of you guys go through some wood. The OP's amount would be about three days worth just guessing. Two heaping wheel barrows full last us all week and its a small one. 100% wood heat no backup.

I'm just using an old box stove (I guess it's an "Earth" stove?)

It barely heats my house, but I'm putting in a new furnace in the basement this summer, and a new wood stove too.. Next winter this house is going to be warm, gosh darn it!
I'm using one of those old box stoves too; I have the "Earth" stove generic papers, but I can't find any genuine "Earth Stove" badge or plate anywhere on it. I think it's made by Even Temp Waco NE as an in-house generic/loosely an Earth" stove???

On average about one full wheel barrow load gets me through one night from dark until morning, now when it is near minus -30f it is a bit more.

A Wheelbarrow load is about 72+ hours here depending on temperature. Of course my house is well insulated and has new windows.

A Wheelbarrow load is about 72+ hours here depending on temperature. Of course my house is well insulated and has new windows.
It is hard to make a blanket statement it all depends on the outside temperature and how big your house is. My house is 2400 sq feet, if it is 30* out I load it go to bed and don't get up until morning to more wood in. Now when it is minus -30* I need to get up 3 times at night and stoke it, and it has to run wide open all night.

Show me what one day's worth of firewood looks like to you...

Here's mine, this should last 24 to 30 hours..

rps20140207_173322_398_zpsc9e66a7c.jpg

You have the same wagon as I do. One load will last me only 2 days during single digit nights / days and 4 days maybe during milder temps in the 20s and 30's.

I bet this would be much easier to measure apples to apples if we used a face cord as a measure.
1 face cord is just over 3 weeks of wood for me on average.
That amount changes little with the season as btu quality of wood changes as temperature warms or cools so a face cord lasts about the same for me all season.

I bet this would be much easier to measure apples to apples if we used a face cord as a measure.

I respectfully but VEHEMENTLY disagree with that statement. Until I joined this site I had never even heard of a face cord...And still...after two years here have no idea what a face cord is or how you would measure it or what your definition is vs. the next guy's definition.

My one day usage is about equal to what is pictured in the OP's photo. Sometimes that'll last me a day and 1/2.

J1m,

A face cord is or should be a standard for everyone.
4' x 8' x 1'
Some people have 16" but one standard face measure is 12"
If you have 16" wood then that face cord is really 1.33 face cord or 1/3 of a full cord.

We really need some set measure since some people burn 12" wood and others up to 24" wood.
Tough to measure apples to apples that way.
20 pieces of wood to person A can be quite different than 20 pieces of wood to person B.

Both are fine to sell here since it's 1/4 or 1/3 full cord and a customer would be told he or she is buying not a face cord but 1/3 or 1/4 cord.
With those numbers a face cord now really is meaningless but more of a measure that has become a standard broken into a more reliable total.

In Canada your only legally allowed to sell some % of a cord.
Not a bad practice either since seller and buyer agree on an amount of money for an amount of wood with no wiggle room for either.
Selling something else here will probably get you a warning, continuing to sell it will get a fine.

Even for me a face cord is more of a habit than a meaningful measure, when a customer asks for one I catch myself and ask if they would like 1/4 cord or 1/3 at $ or $.

Now with a useful measure we can say I burn 1/4 or 1/3 cord in X time and it will be a useful total for everyone to match against.
Then burning 12" 16" or 24" will just be a total of what percent of a cord you burn in X time easily matched against person A or B.

Face cord for me is about 18-20" wide. With the temps we are fighting, it'll last me about 4 days.

Right now I only have about 1.5 face cord left, MAYBE 2.. Just posted about that in the "scrounging" thread...

leftyz,

Big house or bad insulation or both. LOL
just over 1/3 cord (your face cord) is about 4 weeks fire for me.
Smallish house high insulation.

leftyz,

Big house or bad insulation or both. LOL
just over 1/3 cord (your face cord) is about 4 weeks fire for me.
Smallish house high insulation.

woody, it's a medium size house (1600sqft or so), just a bad layout, single woodstove for whole house, drafty and poor insulation

Oh, almost forgot, green wood too.. Even the dead stuff I'm cutting is above 25% according to my meter.

J1m,

4' x 8' x 1'
If you have 16" wood then that face cord is really 1.33 face cord or 1/3 of a full cord.

We really need some set measure since some people burn 12" wood and others up to 24" wood.
20 pieces of wood to person A can be quite different than 20 pieces of wood to person B.

Both are fine to sell here since it's 1/4 or 1/3 full cord and a customer would be told he or she is buying not a face cord but 1/3 or 1/4 cord.
With those numbers a face cord now really is meaningless but more of a measure that has become a standard broken into a more reliable total.

Not a bad practice either since seller and buyer agree on an amount of money for an amount of wood with no wiggle room for either.
Selling something else here will probably get you a warning, continuing to sell it will get a fine.

Even for me a face cord is more of a habit than a meaningful measure, when a customer asks for one I catch myself and ask if they would like 1/4 cord or 1/3 at $ or $.

Now with a useful measure we can say I burn 1/4 or 1/3 cord in X time and it will be a useful total for everyone to match against.
Then burning 12" 16" or 24" will just be a total of what percent of a cord you burn in X time easily matched against person A or B.

Thank you for illustrating my point with 100% clarity. If clarity is measured with mud. :D

J1m,

4' x 8' x 1'

A face cord isn't a standard anywhere as it can mean multiple things.

Wood is measured in cords or fractions of which realistically is the only real way to get a clear picture of the volume of wood you are purchasing or selling.

Cerran,

Yep that's why they want you to break it into % of cord.

Face cord isn't a standard but 3 out of 4 people ask for one.
You are correct the only way to measure apples to apples is with % of cord and since a face for most people is either 1/4 or 1/3 of a cord we can get some useful measure from that.
2 or 3 days of firewood usage is not a great length of time to measure anyway.
Any weather can happen on 2 days but a month of usage is a much better averaged amount.

Work out your house cubic ft and see what everyone else burns somewhat near you to see if it's silicon and insulation warier time in spring.
If you burn 3 and the guy 20 miles away burns 1 with a similar house it's warier time :)

leftyz,

I'm a smallish house but only heat with quite a small epa woodstove.

Green wood sure isn't helping your wood burn quantity but I suspect you will be a silicon and insulation warrior this year.
Silicon everything that looks like it has an air leak, then the next best bang for the buck is attic insulation.
Windows and doors are big offender for letting in cold air so silicon and door stop foam strips can make for quite a big impacts quite cheep.
Those two things are day jobs and easily done with little money investment.
Makes for a cooler home in summer also so if you run air the offset of a couple 100$ for insulation and silicon will be less than the extra air bills.

And next year you will have 2 x as much wood left :0

J1m,

I did say in my first post that a facecord was a standard measure.
Might not be everyones measure but I get asked for a facecord over and over.
And I don't even sell facecords LOL

As I said in my first post if someone is going to use (facecord) then just work out the length beyond 12" to see what real % of a cord you burn.
12"=1/4 cord 16"= 1/3 cord 24"=1/2 cord
Open up kijji or craiglist pretty much anywhere in Na and that's what is for sale (facecord)

Not muddy atall, just what people know and use for a measure.

That's almost 2 days worth of heat in my old stone uninsulated house but 8 to 10 days in the highly energy efficient cabin I am finishing on my land. Experience has proven that insulation is the master word.

Back