ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1 more hydraulic tank size question

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by Dustyw, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Dustyw

Dustyw ArboristSite Operative

So I am collecting parts for my splitter and a fellow on ebay is selling hydraulic tanks. I have a 22 gpm 2 stage pump and was wondering if a 20 gallon tank is enough or I will have to go up to 30. He sold his last 25 gallon and won't have anymore until this summer. I seen 20 gallon tanks advertised having 16 usuable gallons and thats what got me thinking if I need a 20 or 25 gallon. I noticed timberwolfs tw-5 has a 22 gpm pump and only has a 15 gallon tank. Any suggestions?

2. triptester

triptester Addicted to ArboristSite

The 20 gallon tank should be adequate.

3. TMFARM 2009

TMFARM 2009 Addicted to ArboristSite

one of my friends built his splitter and used the axle tube as the reservoir its 5' wide and is 4x8 3/16" tube... just make your welds good, no pin holes..how much of the frame could hold fluid inside? it could go all the way to the tongue if built right.just plumb into each end to circulate.

4. Junkfxr

Junkfxr ArboristSite Operative

That's the same set up that I have, 22gpm pump with a 20 gallon tank. Gets a little warm during marathon splitting sessions but works fine. General rule of thumb is the resevoir should be at least the same size as the pump.

5. Dustyw

Dustyw ArboristSite Operative

thanks everybody. I bought a 20 gallon of off ebay for $160 shipped. Seemed like a good deal to me. When I figured the dimensions its actually 22 gallons. Maybe it only has 20 useable gallons. I will start a thread with pics when I get started.