1 more hydraulic tank size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I am collecting parts for my splitter and a fellow on ebay is selling hydraulic tanks. I have a 22 gpm 2 stage pump and was wondering if a 20 gallon tank is enough or I will have to go up to 30. He sold his last 25 gallon and won't have anymore until this summer. I seen 20 gallon tanks advertised having 16 usuable gallons and thats what got me thinking if I need a 20 or 25 gallon. I noticed timberwolfs tw-5 has a 22 gpm pump and only has a 15 gallon tank. Any suggestions?

one of my friends built his splitter and used the axle tube as the reservoir its 5' wide and is 4x8 3/16" tube... just make your welds good, no pin holes..how much of the frame could hold fluid inside? it could go all the way to the tongue if built right.just plumb into each end to circulate.

That's the same set up that I have, 22gpm pump with a 20 gallon tank. Gets a little warm during marathon splitting sessions but works fine. General rule of thumb is the resevoir should be at least the same size as the pump.

thanks everybody. I bought a 20 gallon of off ebay for $160 shipped. Seemed like a good deal to me. When I figured the dimensions its actually 22 gallons. Maybe it only has 20 useable gallons. I will start a thread with pics when I get started.

Back