1 more wood cutting day, then knee fix again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well here I go again...... Same knee, tore the acl off this time, dinged the cartilage too....!#$%! yikes. Had knee fix in Feb of this year, meniscus that time, went very well, hope this time too. I get to go out Friday and finish up my big ol cottonwoods that I have been working on. WE have hauled out about 10 cords so far, 1 tree and a stump to go. There were 4 giant dead standing white trees, now there is only one and its days are numbered. I am freaked out about the knee thing this time, I have heard that acl fixes are not good, but it is not much good now either. Scary when one of the first things I asked the Dr was how long till I can cut again, he just shook his head with a real puzzled look on his face. It is spookey walking around with a knee that wants to do the flamingo thing, kinda tender too. I am going out first thing in the am before wifey wakes up and clear some brush from our new property, I have to get it out of my system right, like that will happen.

My brother replaced his acl in Sept 08 and was back to cutting wood in December. It was his 2nd or 3rd acl replacement surgery.

thats prob why its is 3rd time at 25yo i had mine done in jan and wasnt given the 100% all clear till nov the first three months are the most critical

build up that quad

Best of Luck with the knee. You're doing the right thing with the operation. Just don't push yourself and give yourself time to recover.

Darn, I hate to hear that, therapy and take it easy till it's healed. You really struck a nerve since I was at the sawbones office Tuesday and got the news that I have a torn miniscus, will call after the weekend and schedule a fix, hope it doesn't lead to your problem. I've had shoulder surgery, three on left and two on the right so I've got some close acquaintances in the PT department, I'm sure they'll be glad to see me again.
Get well soon.

Stihl....what the heck are you doing to blow your acl? I have had 3 scopes for meniscus & one acl. I ripped my acl trying something I should not have on a RoadKing....one mistake led to another, led to a front wheel lock up. Working recovery time according to my doctor at the time was 6 months...he gave me the green light after 5.5 months.
Get a surgeon that specializes in knees and has a good rep....it makes a difference.

RD

Motorseven

Ol genuis here thought that he was still 20, went to my daughters rescue, she was stuck on the side of a sand dune on her quad, I come from the top down and just as I got there she started rolling backward down the dune, I ran down the dune chasing her and I think about the second step, POW I knew what it was before I hit the sand. She crashed, I was not good, but she is fine now. I guess that I am not 20 anymore.

Best of luck with the knee surgery. Not fun.

I joke to others that have had to have their knees worked on about not getting their "kneesles shot" when they were younger.

Keep us posted.

Kevin

I appreciate the knid word guys, I am just a wimp. I am really looking forward to tomorrows cut though, 36" dbh cottonwood, last of the four. Hopefully pull 3+ cords out of there! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Whimp?

Your cutting and hauling with a blown ACL??

You either have a high tolerance for pain, or are some kinda superhero...

carry on & don't rip your tights!:yoyo:

RD

You know strange is it is, I really dont feel much pain from my knee, just a twinge sometimes, bout makes me tear up, but goes away. Today I cut down the last of the giants, 36" dbh cottonwood, the sun was a shining on me again. I had the added pressure of having my dad#2 who btw is a 30 year logger, tree trimmer, log warehouseman, and lineman standing there. I asked if he would like the honor, he said nope, get it down. I cut the "perfect wedge", one whack of the ax and out it came, he gave me the confident, yet surprised nod, the I explained where I was going to do my back cut, he was satisfied, I cut into it and perfecto!!! the perfect hinge, flat cuts the whole enchilada!!! I think that he might even been a bit proud!! I loaded a 4 horse trailer with all that I felt like loading, all that is left is the big stuff that need quartered and loaded. It is a bit un-nerving walking around with the 660 on branches with my wobble knee. I did ok though, more ibuprofin please. I have to go and unload todays load and finish sat and then stock up wverything, get salt in the softener in the crawl space and cut a Christmas tree on the mtn. Then on the 7th day he rested!

STO,

Good luck in the Rip out room!!!

Make sure to tell the doc, ya want the latest and greatest Fish line he can find at Bass Pro for the repair, and go with 90lb instead of the regular 60lb stuff.;)

The new proceedure heals a lot faster than the old ones did from what I have been told.

You're gonna laugh, but my pooch Sam blew his out in a tragic Fetching accident. He healed up and was back to terrorizing the UPS guy and the Squirrels in about 3 weeks, but I suspect he milked it a bit so he could get his chow delivered to the Bedside while watching Lassie re-runs all day.

Nows a good time to be laid up anyhow. It's fixing to be mud season.

Heal quick!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ask the OB-Gyn Surgeon ---woops--your Orthopaedic Surgeon for a prescription for a working knee brace after you recover. Innovation Sports, Inc makes custom carbon fiber braces that allow you to work, climb, or run by putting the twist and weight onto your thigh and calf. Their "GTi2" brace that I use costs ~$2000. ; when needed, gives you the freedom to do what you want without worrying about blowing out the knee again. I've had multiple arthroscopies on both knees. It comes from long ago young sh$$, dumb a$$ testosterone.:censored:

And the GTi2 comes in any color, camo, or logo you want...mine is hunting red.:clap:

Best of success.

Oh yeah. Are we the only ones in the North to have soggy woods ? Damn, the ground here never dried out from Spring rains. Got to wait now for the hard freeze to work the woodlots.

Last edited:
I appreciate the knid word guys, I am just a wimp. I am really looking forward to tomorrows cut though, 36" dbh cottonwood, last of the four. Hopefully pull 3+ cords out of there! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Years ago my sister (bless her stubborn sole) tried to continue running on a torn acl. She has OCD and running was her therapy.
After several attempts there is nothing more they can do. She hasn't run in 6 years and never will again.
Take a break. All that work will still be there when you recover and might even be good therapy. You don't have to prove anything to the people that really know you.

Best of luck. Dan.

Well i got the the first load unloaded this am, I have to go get the rest, rip in 1/4 about 25 36" rounds, and load, unload, then rest...... I will have a buddy help today though. I have to admit, kinda tight feeling in the joint this am. Then rest. I have been told that I need to strengthen my quads, stepping up and down into the trailer with the rounds outa do it eh? I have been working the snot out of them in preperation for this, they are pretty strong now actually, that explains why I can keep on doing what I do, if they were not happy I could not do much. I lost about 10 pounds in the process too, I am sure I will gain it back from inactivity. I appricitate all the good words, anyone else have anything I will certainly be thankfull for all info.
Heres to you guys!!

All I can say is don't trust just one doctors opinion. Go get a second and maybe even a 3rd opinion if possible.
I wish I hadn't listened to the Dr. the first time but I was in major pain and accepted what he said because he told me he could stop it! Big dummy I am.
If you get the right Dr. replacing the ACL should be no problem.
Although I haven't had ACL surgery done just scoped.
My left has been torn for 8 yrs. now and I just tore my right couple months ago. Trying to avoid surgery on the right and looks like I will. No meniscus damage this time.
I let the 1rst Dr. take some out last time and I think that screwed me up more than anything. Any time you lose some meniscus it can't be good.
Alot of people are walking around without ACL's but if yours is loose I'd definitely get it fixed, mine don't feel loose to me, so I dunno :confused:

My knee is loose, it is fairly stable in everyday things, but in my world, detailing cars, wet ladders, sawing wood, and having 2 kids, playing soccer with them crawiling around, you know the drill, just a busy life. I feel at this time I should go ahead and repair it.
I got the last of the big cottonwoods done yesterday, I think that I brought home about 12 full cords from this job. It all just in a mountain right now, got a bunch of splitting to do now. All the stuff from yesterday, I ripped into stove size bites, appx 10" x10" x 18" long. I am not sure, but I think that this is how I should have done all of it, it is abit more work up front, but that wood is now ready for the stove. I cut 1.75 cords of this in 2.5 hours, loaded and gone. Pretty easy cutting, all out of 36" rounds that I cut to length friday. Man I am feeling the love this am though. We went to Thermopolis and soaked for a while and played the kids out after I got done, felt good.

Darn, I hate to hear that, therapy and take it easy till it's healed. You really struck a nerve since I was at the sawbones office Tuesday and got the news that I have a torn miniscus, will call after the weekend and schedule a fix, hope it doesn't lead to your problem. I've had shoulder surgery, three on left and two on the right so I've got some close acquaintances in the PT department, I'm sure they'll be glad to see me again.
Get well soon.

I have a torn medial miniscus and have had it for three years. I had to quit running because it gets sore and starts poppin after 3/4 mile. I still play basketball but have to wear knee brace. I would suggest not getting the surgery unless you absolutely need it, my doctor advised it also.

Back