#1 North East Record Holding Elm Removal DVD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here's the story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34765157/

Now here's my story, I'm in the process of making a 1080P HD DVD of the removal. I'm taking requests for specific shots you want to see on this 240 year old record holding american elm. I've already taken note to document the injection sites and internal trunk compartmentalization by users here.

PM me for information about obtaining a copy!​

Last edited:
Update

01/19/10: So I made it there Friday then again on Monday for the cut (New England blizzard highway death trap ride) and it was moved until TODAY and I couldn't make a third 3 hour drive. Neighbors are gathering footage for me DVD will still be produced.

:censored: :censored: :censored:

elmtreex-large.jpg

Sweet! The money shot!

Herbie bites the dust. :)

Yeah... :cry:

I spent all morning arguing with all the news crews about letting me obtain their footage and not throwing it away in a week I wana kick every news director right in the fu*k*ng nuts.
:phone: :blob2:

I spent all morning arguing with all the news crews about letting me obtain their footage and not throwing it away in a week I wana kick every news director right in the fu*k*ng nuts.

Ya, you've got to do it yourself and do it better then them. They have no incentive or reason to help you out.
-moss

Ya, you've got to do it yourself and do it better then them. They have no incentive or reason to help you out.
-moss

Well I made 2 trips up and got some footage in full HD, not the cut down :( but I did get the storm that is documented on wiki on Herbies page that delayed the cut down, it was a death ride I tell you, he was pretty in the storm though untouched with no foot prints. Its amazing that nature was able to save it by a day. I have the best quality footage on video of it just not exactly what I wanted. I think I can make up for it if I go back and see if ol' Frank will do an interview on the stump!

I'd like to see how it landed, it appears they're about to crush the hedge and some shrubs. Not the worst thing to happen...
-moss

I'm working on it there IS a video out there of the fall I just can't use it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VebKGYQdRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4NtS8TeTnw
http://www.necn.com/Boston/SciTech/2010/01/19/Timber-New-Englands-oldest/1263938213.html

The news director at a major Grand Rapids, MI T.V. station was kind enough to send me a copy of the footage his crew shot of the Treehouse, their version of a video I posted a while back. I requested the footage years after the actual taping and it was still available. I later requested permission to use their footage on a Youtube video, which was frowned upon. I'm not sure what could be done if I did use it on that site. If I posted some of their footage on my own website, their could be problems. Go a little higher up the food chain and you may have better luck getting some video.

Id like to see a picture with a human standing next to it so you can relate its size.. Also why was a record holding tree removed:cry: Ahh just watched the vid Dutch Elm Disease
JT

Last edited:
Id like to see a picture with a human standing next to it so you can relate its size.. Also why was a record holding tree removed:cry: Ahh just watched the vid Dutch Elm Disease
JT

Read the article at the top it explains why, kind of.

Here's your picture, it's me standing next to it.

IMG_0367.jpg

Great photo P.floyd, without the storm delay you wouldn't have got it.
-moss

Exactly, a natural disaster allowed him to stand an extra day in Peace with untouched snow all around as you can see which is priceless.

Thanks for posting the story and the links, Pink Floyd....

We're removing a 21 foot cbh big leaf maple in a couple of weeks. It is nowhere near as massive as that grand old elm, but is still one of the largest big leafs in Seattle.....

I'm buying a Canon 5d Mk2 and will be able to shoot both HD video and 21 megapixel stills with it, or do both at once along with my old 1 D Mark 11.

This tree also has a sad story. The owner has lived with this great tree for 56 years. Sadly, it is declining (Verticillium wilt) and with his and the neighbor's house as targets, it is going. The wood will go to my craftsman at www.gogreendesign.biz, and to Dan, a bowl turner....

Hope you don't mind me posting this. I will start its own thread, of course....

4223968221_e9996469f3_o.jpg

4223968103_5dd8d43a6d_o.jpg

4223968303_81b899665a_o.jpg

4224735902_ae64c36c1e_o.jpg

I may see if I can drum up some press coverage myself for this event...

Thanks for posting the story and the links, Pink Floyd....

We're removing a 21 foot cbh big leaf maple in a couple of weeks. It is nowhere near as massive as that grand old elm, but is still one of the largest big leafs in Seattle.....

I'm buying a Canon 5d Mk2 and will be able to shoot both HD video and 21 megapixel stills with it, or do both at once along with my old 1 D Mark 11.

This tree also has a sad story. The owner has lived with this great tree for 56 years. Sadly, it is declining (Verticillium wilt) and with his and the neighbor's house as targets, it is going. The wood will go to my craftsman at www.gogreendesign.biz, and to Dan, a bowl turner....

Hope you don't mind me posting this. I will start its own thread, of course....

I may see if I can drum up some press coverage myself for this event...

HOLY FK that things huge thank you I love this stuff! I've never seen a "Big Leaf" around here (MA) Although I do have two gigantic Red Maples that might be a competing state champion on my land.

Why can't the middle be cut out and the rest cabled? I'm stubborn I'd try to Bonsai out the canopy for a few years first. I don't know much about Verticillium Wilt, nice wood working.

I don't mind at all, 21 MegaPixel wow! Yeah definitely start a riot when it comes down and get alota attention that thing deserves it! I used a 12.1MP Cannon SD980 and my Panasonic HDC-SD9 1080-24P

Last edited:
I would like to see the tree stay for a while as well....but it is declining slowly....Cabling could have worked, but is a delicate procedure when there are obvious defects, and targets directly under the tree.....can open one up to legal issues if a failure occurs.

The largest maple species is the Big leaf, native only to the PNW. largest specimens about 12 feet dbh...

Keep up the good work, kemo sabe!

Roger

I would like to see the tree stay for a while as well....but it is declining slowly....Cabling could have worked, but is a delicate procedure when there are obvious defects, and targets directly under the tree.....can open one up to legal issues if a failure occurs.

The largest maple species is the Big leaf, native only to the PNW. largest specimens about 12 feet dbh...

Keep up the good work, kemo sabe!

Roger

Maybe if it were cabled a long time ago it would of given it some extra time? And slowed the declining years ago? Yeah I hear you about the house and legalness. If I had the money and lived there I'd by my neighbors house and make them move haha.

Whats PNW and DBH (probably stupid questions) because you keep referring to 12 feet. I hope when my Reds are looked at they don't tell me they are declining however there's no houses near them so I'm good to be stubborn :)

kemo sabe... HAHAHA

~Peace

DVD Update PROMO

So I've rendered a tiny short low quality sample promo of the DVD mostly to get locals attention for their footage but hey, enjoy! I have an hour of footage the DVD is looking like it WILL be for sale after all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuxorPxwwlw

^Make sure to enable 1080 and go full screen the video resolution is huge^

:camera:

Back