1 saw, two saw, three saw, oh no!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I decided I needed a small light saw. My hands and shoulders are showing the beatings they took over the years.
So I went out and got a little Stihl 192 rear handle. And my hands and shoulders rejoiced.
My 029 was being left behind just because I dreaded having to use it so I used my 192 for more then it is built to handle. Yes it will cut 12 in oak and hickory. A bit slow and underpowered but I dreaded using the 029 that much.
So I went on the hunt and bagged a super smooth, easy starting, Dolmar 6100 that made the 029 seem like the neighbors wild thing.
Now I love using the 6100 and the 192, but.....
I think having a little saw in between is "needed" because I still find myself using that little 192 on bigger wood then it probably should.
Am I wrong for thinking something like a dolmar 421 , echo 400, 490 ect would fill that little gap real nice and extend the life of the 192 by leaps and bounds. Or make it obsolete?
Plus it seems none of my buddies take care of their saws and when we go out to cut they either spend half the time working on their saw or using one of mine or both.
How many saws does a firewood hack need? Just FYI I cut close to 20 cords a year and have started the process of cleaning up 40 acres of hard wood timber.
Find a way to try a 550 XP. May not pull quite as hard as the 6100 in bigger wood but limbs like a light saber.

yes, you need one. Try to find a nice 346xp used. They are beasts, and affordable now.

Having just done so myself, you will use the 346xp until you have to cut from both sides because the bar is too short before you pick up a bigger saw.

Years ago I liked to collect old fishing reels. Some cost $2.00, some cost $50.00. My wife told me to stop buying fishing reels because I never go fishing anyway, and was wasting money.

So I started collecting Husqvarna chainsaws. Big, new Husqvarnas

Recently she told me I should collect fishing reels.

A guy can't have too many chainsaws. You need a couple more.

Years ago I liked to collect old fishing reels. Some cost $2.00, some cost $50.00. My wife told me to stop buying fishing reels because I never go fishing anyway, and was wasting money.

So I started collecting Husqvarna chainsaws. Big, new Husqvarnas

Recently she told me I should collect fishing reels.

A guy can't have too many chainsaws. You need a couple more.
This is awesome!

I have a 421 and it's the first saw I grab for 75% of my work now. If it puked tomorrow I would no doubt buy another one.

Latest posts

Back