1 saw, two saw, three saw, oh no!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last year I decided I needed a small light saw. My hands and shoulders are showing the beatings they took over the years.
So I went out and got a little Stihl 192 rear handle. And my hands and shoulders rejoiced.
My 029 was being left behind just because I dreaded having to use it so I used my 192 for more then it is built to handle. Yes it will cut 12 in oak and hickory. A bit slow and underpowered but I dreaded using the 029 that much.
So I went on the hunt and bagged a super smooth, easy starting, Dolmar 6100 that made the 029 seem like the neighbors wild thing.
Now I love using the 6100 and the 192, but.....
I think having a little saw in between is "needed" because I still find myself using that little 192 on bigger wood then it probably should.
Am I wrong for thinking something like a dolmar 421 , echo 400, 490 ect would fill that little gap real nice and extend the life of the 192 by leaps and bounds. Or make it obsolete?
Plus it seems none of my buddies take care of their saws and when we go out to cut they either spend half the time working on their saw or using one of mine or both.
How many saws does a firewood hack need? Just FYI I cut close to 20 cords a year and have started the process of cleaning up 40 acres of hard wood timber.

Frankenstein say....errrrrhhhhh....CAD Bad!!...CAD Bad!! :laugh:

Yes, a good 40-50cc gap filler would be the ticket.

Hey man, in all seriousness...don't forget about the little purple and green Thangs...with a spicy muffler mod and a 16" bar, mine rips and shreds. Starts easy, the absolute definition of reliable, widely available for next to no $$...I don't hesitate to sink it into hardwood up to 16", and I have an 18" bar for it if I need it to stand in for one of my bigger saws. You could get into one for well under $100, and nothing helps the CAD like inexpensive saws! :envy:

Hey man, in all seriousness...don't forget about the little purple and green Thangs...with a spicy muffler mod and a 16" bar, mine rips and shreds. Starts easy, the absolute definition of reliable, widely available for next to no $$...I don't hesitate to sink it into hardwood up to 16", and I have an 18" bar for it if I need it to stand in for one of my bigger saws. You could get into one for well under $100, and nothing helps the CAD like inexpensive saws! :envy:
That is a good suggestion however I can handle the vibes. A neighbor has one and cuts a ton of wood with it. However 3 cuts and my hands where done. :cry:

of the saws listed...421 or 490. yes i am a rabid 421 supporter but the 490 is a good little saw that is a touch lighter and smaller for the same money. dont think you could wrong with either of those but i wont give up my 421. discard the 400 from the discussion...nice saws but in stock form they become irritating to use in anything larger than 6" and i find it hard to believe that a muffler mod alone will bring them up anywhere near the same level as a 421.

of the saws listed...421 or 490. yes i am a rabid 421 supporter but the 490 is a good little saw that is a touch lighter and smaller for the same money. dont think you could wrong with either of those but i wont give up my 421. discard the 400 from the discussion...nice saws but in stock form they become irritating to use in anything larger than 6" and i find it hard to believe that a muffler mod alone will bring them up anywhere near the same level as a 421.
I am surprised that no one has done a head to head video of these two.
I am so happy with the 6100 I don't see how I wouldn't be with a 421. I do wide the 421 had similar air filtration system to the 6100. But I have not heard any complaints about it.

Ported 3120...then when you run any of your other saws they will feel like whiffle ball bats...just sayin...
I do have an 056 super that gives me that feeling. However my torn rotator cuff yes at me for 3 weeks everytime I run it. Needless to say I have only ran it like 4 times in the last 6 months.

If you are cutting 20 cords/year you need at least 5 or 6 saws, 7 or 8 would be good. Any more than 9 or 10 it gets hard to use them all enough to keep them running properly.
Ok so if I am picking up what you are putting down I need to keep the 192, 6100, and 056. And add a 421, 7900 and husky 3120. Oh wait that is only 6 hmmm maybe an echo 490 or maybe a echo 271 oh wait the 361p. Oh man this seems to be going the wrong direction.

Ok so if I am picking up what you are putting down I need to keep the 192, 6100, and 056. And add a 421, 7900 and husky 3120. Oh wait that is only 6 hmmm maybe an echo 490 or maybe a echo 271 oh wait the 361p. Oh man this seems to be going the wrong direction.

The new brushless motor battery saws are looking good now, too. The new dewalt was just reviewed on the chainsaw forum.

Hey, no yank starting..on/off. My oregon is the last chainsaw I would get rid of.

Back