1 Year anniversary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
1 year ago today I was laying in a hospital bed after having a stage 3 cancer removed from my kidney. I could only wish to be slaving away in the wood pile. So yesterday I took the day off of work and replaced the engine on my ol splitter and cut a couple cords just to get the kinks out! I spent part of the day on a field trip with my 6 year olds class to the corn maze and reflected on how lucky I am to be here one year later. I look forward to many more to come, as all the check ups have had good reports. Just saying, guys and gals take a little time once in a while and to some "housekeeping" in the old brain and keep yer affairs in order, because, thankfully, we do not know what lies ahead of us each day. Happy cutting fellas!!

congratulations

Hope you have many healthy years ahead of you. Thanks for the advice on getting your affairs in order. I had a heart attack at age 42 I am now 52 it happened on September 15 of 2002. 10 years one month 3 days. Not meaning to hijack your thread just saying I know what you mean about a sudden illness. David

Last edited:
Glad to see your still splitting wood.. Keep your attitude and you will live to see old age..

I spent about 45 minutes playing outside with my wife and kids late yesterday afternoon and on the way back in the house was thinking how lucky we all were for being able to do that. Funny thing is, my wife mentioned feeling the same thing after we had put the kids to bed last night.

Crap can happen at any time. All the more reason to make sure your a few years ahead in the wood pile. CONGRATS.

I really appreciate your post, and glad you are still with us!

A positive attitude and "will" is just as important as all the doctoring in the world!

I shed a tear or two reading this. Lost my mother to colon cancer in March of this year. He's right. Get your affairs in order now so you and your family aren't taken by surprise. Get yourself some kind of insurance even if you don't think you can afford it. It will pay off when you need it. Keep that wood pile full and the hearth warm.

Glad to hear all is well with you.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am truley doing better than I deserve. I was taken back be the sunrise this am, WOW!! To think I could have missed all of this. I finished up the engine replacement on the ol splitter today, my wife hauled about 1/2 cord of cottonwood to the wood shed and I worked on putting up the back wall of the shed. Yeah yeah I know I said cottonwood, but in the grand scheme of things, yup, it is all good, I am still here to participate in this lifestyle we all love. I learned a lot in the last year, one lesson is, that cancer does not give a damn if you have 2 small kids, are in generally good health,43 years old, do not use tobacco, drink rarely, are christian, have a great little business, married, nope is still does not care. I am blessed beyond belief as this was an accidental find. I had a great Dr that removed a chunk out of my kidney using a robot, and left me with most of a functioning kidney!! I would not have thought that I would be excited to score another 20+ cords of cottonwood before, as it would have seemed like a bunch of work, but now I am more than thankfull to have the opportunity to work it! Good day to all!!

When someone takes a ride like that, Brother and shares a single minute with us in light of what he's learned, we all owe you a big old round of respect.

Back