10 month oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a picture of some 10 month old red oak keeping us nice and warm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 104
!! fire looks kinda orange so the wood must not be dry enough yet !! it should be blue like a gas fire at that age!! you probably better not burn anymore, and I will come and take all that wet wood so you don't clog your flue! so please send me your address to where I can pick up your cold burning fuel?? "THANKS IN ADVANCE"... and I promise not to tell your insurance man?? lol

How the heck do you get 10 mo. old Oak to burn?! I can barely burn the stuff at two years, and that's with gas poured on it! And cleaning the chimney every week stinks!! I have some 3 Y.O. White Oak that is still sizzling a bit...

hey I got some eight month old oak I'm burning because I got lazy last winter and didn't get enough split. yep. It sucks.

How the heck do you get 10 mo. old Oak to burn?! I can barely burn the stuff at two years, and that's with gas poured on it! And cleaning the chimney every week stinks!! I have some 3 Y.O. White Oak that is still sizzling a bit...
Wood is cut to 16". Splits measure 4"-5". Wood sits in full sun and wind in a wide open field. Not a new recipe for success, been doing it for years.

with the extra cold were seeing this heating season, I am finding my personal wood supply dwindling fast! so while im out cutting for others I am using the bottom 8 to 10 feet of dead standing red oak ... some what wet and hissing like a snake with warm heat waves soothing the cold old body from a colder day outdoors..... lol good thing home made stoves have manual drafts yet!! time for another log on the fire.... "HISS"!

i've burned burr oak that has been down 4 months, no issues. We cut our tree's in late july or early augest in full leaves and let them lay til about november 1st... always burn for us w/o problems. Of course i'm the same guy that cuts hackberry and ash in january and burns it the same day. Never seen much gain from letting it sit a year and i have more wood than i'll ever get burned :(

I sold 10 cord this summer that was cut/split Jan/Feb and it looked great come the end of August. People won't burn till heating season and it should be in fine shape in another 4 months. Gets full sun and is oriented East to West so it gets a lot of wind. This wood is aged about 7 months. I tell customers exactly how long it has been aged.

2aag0er.jpg

2e3vdhy.jpg

35it4kh.jpg

2u429nq.jpg

I'm burning all black oak right now with an occasional split of ash. I cut, split and stacked the oak in may so its about 8 months seasoned. It was in full sun and wind all summer and fall and covered in December. It doesn't burn outstanding but does pretty well. No hissing at all. It's hard to get going from a cold start but once the stove is up to temp, it lights pretty well. If i had more ash i would let the oak sit another year and it would be primo.

I had two of the aforementioned 3 Y.O. White Oak splits that not only sizzled, but had water boiling out of the ends this morning. That's 2 years CSSed single row, top of a breezy hill, in the sun, 1 year stacked in a 3 sides open wood shed on the same hill top, plenty of afternoon sun. I'm beginning to think Oak is not worth the trouble. I have 1/2 cord more of this particular tree to go, good riddens!

Is it hard to keep a fire going with that thing laying on it's side like that?
I've seen that before, where people stand the wood on end in the fireplace...dunno how he got the flames to go sideways though?! Chimney must have some serious draft! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back