10 month oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Th
I've seen that before, where people stand the wood on end in the fireplace...dunno how he got the flames to go sideways though?! Chimney must have some serious draft! :laugh:
The pic may be sideways but the wood is stacked horizontally like most would burn a fire

I had two of the aforementioned 3 Y.O. White Oak splits that not only sizzled, but had water boiling out of the ends this morning. That's 2 years CSSed single row, top of a breezy hill, in the sun, 1 year stacked in a 3 sides open wood shed on the same hill top, plenty of afternoon sun. I'm beginning to think Oak is not worth the trouble. I have 1/2 cord more of this particular tree to go, good riddens!
Not trying to start an issue here but maybe our weather conditions are different. Seems I'm not the only person alive who burns oak 1 year or less with no issues.

Now I must admit, 2 year oak does better in moms stove but I actually prefer 1 year or less in the fireplace.

I stack in single rows, in full sun and wind, I've never had an issue burning 8-10 month seasoned Bur Oak... no hissing... admittedly though, it is "better" after a second year. But Red Oak, not so much... one year can be iffy depending on conditions, two years it's pretty darn good, but often it does take that extra third year to really "come in".

If'n ya' stack your firewood uncovered it's important to be able to distinguish between "wet" wood and "green" wood.
"Wet" firewood will burn just fine, it only takes a minute or three to boil off the "wetness"... "green" firewood, on the other hand, burns like crap.

I am currently burning white oak that was spilt in July; it had been in rounds for about a year before being split, without any issues. All I need to do is roll up some news paper light it and by the time I’m back from taking the dogs for a run its roaring.

Never could figure out why some people can do what others say they can not, firewood drying thing is just about as much fun as the EPA vs pre EPA stoves.
Getting firewood dry is a very straight forward and simple process that can vary due to where you live (or how you process it) but the subject turns into an argument about even known facts.:popcorn:

Oldspark, I’m not trying to be argumentative in anyway. I understand the benefits of burning seasoned wood; I also understand at times that’s just not feasible. This year’s wood was split later than I would have liked but nonetheless it’s well seasoned, enough so I can start it with news paper without issue. I enjoy discussing cure times of wood for some odd reason and have been interested with the notion that white oak takes three years to season. If it is seasoned its seasoned, that’s my take anyways.

Oldspark, I’m not trying to be argumentative in anyway. I understand the benefits of burning seasoned wood; I also understand at times that’s just not feasible. This year’s wood was split later than I would have liked but nonetheless it’s well seasoned, enough so I can start it with news paper without issue. I enjoy discussing cure times of wood for some odd reason and have been interested with the notion that white oak takes three years to season. If it is seasoned its seasoned, that’s my take anyways.
Oh I agree, I was talking in general about wood drying causing arguments, I don't agree with the 3 year seasoning time for Oak either but maybe some people don't stack in single rows in a windy area or they live in a more humid climate.
A lot of people report problems with Oak seasoning so I think that fact gives it some merit even though I do not have those issues.
I think how many summers the wood cures (not years) has a lot to do with it, 2 full summers(18months) will get my Oak below 20% and smaller splits can be 20% or below over one long summer.
Most of my Oak does set for at least 18 months and I have some that is 5 years old and I can not tell a difference.

You can't expect us to believe you're burning OAK within 10 months of cutting it! Next you'll say you don't even check your moisture content with a meter!

You can't expect us to believe you're burning OAK within 10 months of cutting it! Next you'll say you don't even check your moisture content with a meter!
I am and I don't care if you don't believe me, I'm warm.lol. I split mine very small which probably has something to do with it. Again, its not ideal and I would like to let it go another summer but I can't and it burns ok. Going out in the woods tomorrow to try to score some more dead ash trees.

I am and I don't care if you don't believe me, I'm warm.lol. I split mine very small which probably has something to do with it. Again, its not ideal and I would like to let it go another summer but I can't and it burns ok. Going out in the woods tomorrow to try to score some more dead ash trees.

One summer, split small and stacked "airy" and oak is OK. Not completely ideal, but it will burn just fine.

One summer, split small and stacked "airy" and oak is OK. Not completely ideal, but it will burn just fine.

+1 Agreed- If you know you aren't going to have the time you would prefer for seasoning red oak, split small. The smaller the split the faster it will dry. The size piece you would normally use -split it again. Bringing it into a warm house,stacked on a wood rack days before( weeks is better) you plan to burn it, will lower the moisture content even more.

Back