10 Ton Mnual Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HILLBILLYREDNEC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yes I did the search nothing found :dizzy: So my simple question is has any one used one of these much? I have the option to use a gas splitter when need locally to my one job. Looking at a 10 Ton splitter when I need to travel to family across the state and have to travel by car. Got plenty of mauls. Looking at these on line and the reviews seem to be similar is language. Figure it will save me some effort to split gnarly or tough fibered wood.

:givebeer:

Yes spent 3 hours reading the reviews on amazon. Wanted to see if any one has one or tried one in real life:smile2:

Get a Fiskars super split and be done with it, save a bunch of money too.

If you're lucky, you'll get a split in a minute with that thing, or maybe not. Bottle jacks only move about 1/8" per stroke (I know this one has high/low, but you WILL be in low when splitting), so figure on about 120 strokes or better to get through a stringy one.

what steve said

Noodle the nasty crotches and super stringy stuff up, use a fiskars and a regular sledge,wedge and maul for everything else. I do from six inches to 36 inche diameter rounds this way. I always try the fiskars first. If it works on this or that batch of wood..you can't load a hydraulic faster. Split on a low stump with a wide tire on it to hold the round together. My timed record is fifteen good splits from an oak round in forty seconds. I don't think any of those whizzbang soopersplitz can cycle that fast. And it just depends, if the fiskars won't do it, sledge and maul. If that is a pain, who cares, excuse to go a-noodling.

Unless you are doing super mass quantities, or are infirm, etc, there really isn't any necessity for a hydraulic, powered or manual, for a joe homeowner sized wood pile. An exception there would be if you could ONLY get gnarly stringy wood and were stuck with it, elm, sweet gum, etc.

That's my opinion anyway.

Info

My right shoulder can only handle splitting easier woods. Looking at something to do the rounds that I can not split with a axe or lightweight maul. I help do the fire wood for some of my family and they get stuff that some times is a wee bit tough to split with a 10# maul :dizzy: When I am near home I borrow the bosses splitter. Just want something low maintenance for the times I need some extra muscle.

Rent then

My right shoulder can only handle splitting easier woods. Looking at something to do the rounds that I can not split with a axe or lightweight maul. I help do the fire wood for some of my family and they get stuff that some times is a wee bit tough to split with a 10# maul :dizzy: When I am near home I borrow the bosses splitter. Just want something low maintenance for the times I need some extra muscle.

I think you are better off just renting a hydraulic once in awhile then. Especially if you have to go travel and do relatives wood, just get er done all one weekend with a rental unit when you are over there.

I have no experience with those hand hydraulics, I guess they would work, but be real slow.

I picked up a used one a few years ago. To say it stunk is a complement. Maybe it had problems, but took forever to split anything. Put your money on a small electric unit or a cheap gas that you could justify just leaving there. But, no matter what, do not waste your money on the manual ones.

To Split or To Noodle ?

Well I 'll tell you at times I don't use my 35 ton splitter on those tough stringy pieces. For example an Elm crotch .

Like the guys have recommended just noodle those pieces you might have trouble splitting with an axe. For example you might have a piece of Elm 18" and it splits at the crotch into 2 pieces 14 " or so.

You could cut the 18" piece off and noodle it into two 9" pieces and then those into 4-1/2" pieces. Use the same method on the two pieces in the fork of the crotch.

Nosmo

turnkey4099

I've seen clips of those in action. I wouldn't use one if it were given to me. For tough stuff, noodling would be 10 times faster and easier.

Harry K

So would a butter knife and small hammer.

Well I decided to buy one and use it to break a few of the more stubborn pieces I had to split. It works good a lot easier then using a maul and wedges to bust them, my neck can not take much use of a maul. I do noodle a few of them.

speed?

Well I decided to buy one and use it to break a few of the more stubborn pieces I had to split. It works good a lot easier then using a maul and wedges to bust them, my neck can not take much use of a maul. I do noodle a few of them.

Well, OK then, how long does it take for one good bust on a decent chunka wood?

Heh, I was thinking of a stationary bicycle adapter for a little splitter.

Speed is fairly quick if you read the log right. In fir it is just afe seconds to crack most rounds. I did noddle the more knotty pieces to save some effort.

Back