100% black Fiskars X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's their next generation. I talked to a company service rep. The handle has a slightly different grip over the old style, the rest is the same mostly.

I noticed this too while at Sears. The head looks to be the same shape but does have a different color to it. I kind of like the new grip over the orange style grip. I'm not going to run out and buy one though.

I thought it may have been some of the older Fiskars. Wasn't the predecessor to the X27 called the Super Split?

I noticed this too while at Sears. The head looks to be the same shape but does have a different color to it. I kind of like the new grip over the orange style grip. I'm not going to run out and buy one though.

I thought it may have been some of the older Fiskars. Wasn't the predecessor to the X27 called the Super Split?

Yes, that is what I use. It has a shorter handle and different more wedge shaped head. The newer ones are more chopping axe looking, flared some.

I would like the newer longer handle, the traditional shaped head, and just a smidgen more steel and weight to it, even just a half lb more.

I have talked to them about this both through email and on the phone, but no follow up. Also I asked when we could get their other mauls and wedges, etc they sell in europe..crickets.

Agreed... if it was 2 pounds heavier I might even use mine.

Idea

Dial a weight. If the back of the head was threaded, you could add in or subtract some extra weight pieces. Then salt to taste. Some guys might want more than others, etc.

It could be welded on, but I have no idea how to get the handle off and back on again.

Fiskars on their striking mauls already has a replaceable composite head, sort of the same idea, just switched to steel.

Is the x-27 that much better than the x-25. I have the latter and think it kinda sucks.:givebeer:

I saw one of those new ones at walmart not too long ago. I have to say, I dig the orange Hogue overmold handle type over the new one. It looks like they tried to make it look like carbon fibre or something. Didn't look much at the splitting wedge part to see if that was different though. I like my older one better.

Absolutely love my X27. In the Doug Fir and pine around here, I can make hay with mine and not get tired doing it. Haven't swung a maul in ages.

First time poster. Looking for a new splitter, I was going to go old school with an eight bound splitter. I did a lot of firewood when I was younger but have been out of the game for a while. Thanks to some storms, I have firewood (box Elder) for the fire pit that needed splitting. Based on reviews here I purchased the 36" super splitting axe (all black one). I was amazed when I hit the first swing, a straight piece split like nothing. I got it pieced out and pulled in a knotted piece. The axe bounced the first few hits as I went around then the whole thing seemed to come apart. The hype is correct. I found myself choking up and using half swings on the straight stuff. It was all that was needed.

I seen one of these somewhere recently, I wasn't too impressed with the handle grip. Trying to get fancy and losing the practicality. I have the older SS and now the X27. I pretty much use the X27 now mostly due to it's longer, grippier handle, however I do prefer the head on the SS.

I agree with Zogger; 36" handle, old wedge design and a tad more wt would make one hell of a splitter.

In like the Orange one better, I wish they were made out of a better steel. In love my x27, just the steel sucks! I split using a tire on my wooden splitting block and that saves it a lot.

...I have firewood (box Elder)... ...purchased the 36" super splitting axe... The hype is correct. I found myself choking up and using half swings on the straight stuff. It was all that was needed.

Box Elder?? I choke-up to a couple inches below the head of my 8# maul with one hand... like half-swingin' a hatchet :D

I saw a Gerber branded axe that looked a lot like a Fiskars at Gander Mountain a few days ago. I like the lime green instead of orange. Not buying one there, everything is overpriced at Gander Mountain.

Is the x-27 that much better than the x-25. I have the latter and think it kinda sucks.:givebeer:

"Better" isn't the right word. The x27 will split things that the x25 is unable to get through, but it's a much different feel. I love how light and weightless the x25, but there are times when I have to set it down and pick up the x27. (And there are times I have to set down the x27 and pick up the big ol' heavy maul.)

Like everything else, as great as it is, the x25 isn't the perfect tool for everything.

Latest posts

Back