100 degree difference club

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I made into the club last night before bed. -10 outside and the living room was at 92 when I loaded the stove for the night burn. Woke up at 3AM house was 82 put a couple pieces of oak in and went back to bed woke up at 5AM to 86.

Saturday was -8 and 70. This morning it's 2 outside and 72 inside. Almost balmy compared to what you guys in the upper Midwest are seeing.

Don't think I'll be disappointed if I fail to reach membership status in this particular club. :)

Well I made into the club last night before bed. -10 outside and the living room was at 92 when I loaded the stove for the night burn. Woke up at 3AM house was 82 put a couple pieces of oak in and went back to bed woke up at 5AM to 86.

I don't see how you guys stand it. If it was 82, let alone 92 in here, I would have the windows open or the AC on! :D
I admit I never heated a living space with a wood stove, we use a wood furnace in the basement. I know a friend of mine heats their house with a wood stove in the living room. I just sit there and sweat...like 85 in there. Go out to their kitchen and its like 60. :eek:

Gregg,

Close but no cigar here at 6am it was -22 outside and 74 inside. Saturday Im gonna be part or the 40 degree club as its supposed to be 34 this weekend.

Glad to say I won't be joining the club either. Too much open water around me. Although watching the steam come off Seneca Lake this morning is pretty cool. Like a 67 sq mi hot tub in 0* weather.

I don't see how you guys stand it. If it was 82, let alone 92 in here, I would have the windows open or the AC on! :D
I admit I never heated a living space with a wood stove, we use a wood furnace in the basement. I know a friend of mine heats their house with a wood stove in the living room. I just sit there and sweat...like 85 in there. Go out to their kitchen and its like 60. :eek:

Gregg,

We only crank it up that much before going to bed. Otherwise we try to keep it between 74-80 in the living room dining room and kitchen. With the air movement in the house we have about an 8 degree differnece in temperature when it all settles in. I do sleep with a fan blowing on me though.

my house heats very well with a centrally loated stand alone wood burner. it's usually within 5 - 6 degrees throughout the house.

+76 in the house and +11 outdoors in Fairbanks, Alaska right now.

Pretty accustomed to daytime highs around -30 this time of year, try to heat the main part of the house to around +85dF around bed time.

Anyroad, I've been in the 120 degree difference club a couple times this year when it was below -40. There are two nice things about the warm snap we are having in interior Alaska right now. One, its stayed below freezing; when we get weather above freezing in deep winter it makes a big mess for the rest of the season.

Second, it is warm enough to split next year's wood right now. I don't generally go out and split unless it is warmer than -20df. I have four cords split already since Thanksgiving, about one to go to be ready for next winter. Sure beats having to split in March when the sun is out.

I am back in the club. -35dF in Fairbanks tonight, and dropping. Looking for -40 to -45 overnight, high of -35 tomorrow.

+80dF in the living room, I have the master bedroom at about +74dF with a box fan running on the floor.

Thank God the wind isn't blowing. I would a whole lot rather have -35 with no wind than -10 with windchill of -30.

Y'all stay safe.

I am back in the club. -35dF in Fairbanks tonight, and dropping. Looking for -40 to -45 overnight, high of -35 tomorrow.

+80dF in the living room, I have the master bedroom at about +74dF with a box fan running on the floor.

Thank God the wind isn't blowing. I would a whole lot rather have -35 with no wind than -10 with windchill of -30.

Y'all stay safe.

I like to hear that. The weather guys love to point out that when its frigid in AK it's mild here, and the opposite. Y'all stay cold for a couple of months longer, would ya? We've got plenty of ice to drive and fish on, don't need any more.

The coldest morning we had in the last month was -34 and it was 74 in the house. 108 degree difference!!! That was some crazy cold!

We can't play here...not even when it is 'really cold'(that would be 20*F).

Scott (sort of glad its warm) B

You guys are makin' me jealous. We had our first precip in over a month last night, .4 in. of rain with a dusting of snow. We're at 10% of normal, starting to worry about my well and this year's fire season. Daytime highs in the mid 50s, overnight lows in the mid 20s. I've got plenty of wood and warm clothes, but when the well goes dry or the fires start (again), I'm f*cked.

You guys are makin' me jealous. We had our first precip in over a month last night, .4 in. of rain with a dusting of snow. We're at 10% of normal, starting to worry about my well and this year's fire season. Daytime highs in the mid 50s, overnight lows in the mid 20s. I've got plenty of wood and warm clothes, but when the well goes dry or the fires start (again), I'm f*cked.

Man, that sucks. Do you have a swimming pool or big tank for emergency water?

Man, that sucks. Do you have a swimming pool or big tank for emergency water?
No, but I'm seriously considering a 3000 gal storage tank. My well is fed directly from snow-melt on Mt. Lassen thru fractures in the lava. You can hear water running down the well. It's the best water in the world, but there is no snow on the mountain. I don't think it would take long for the flow to stop. Fingers crossed!

No, but I'm seriously considering a 3000 gal storage tank. My well is fed directly from snow-melt on Mt. Lassen thru fractures in the lava. You can hear water running down the well. It's the best water in the world, but there is no snow on the mountain. I don't think it would take long for the flow to stop. Fingers crossed!

Don't wait, ya never know! Some years back here we had a tremendous drought, I think Atlanta got around two weeks away from not much available water. And that is with some big reservoir lakes.

The big creek here, first year we moved here, had been flowing well year round for many years (as I have been told), then that drought hit, bupkis, dried up. The fish haven't recovered yet, and there used to be decent sized ones in there, now just some small minnows. The big pond was losing inches a day, so much so I had to go out and at both ends install a ton of fencing to keep the cows in. That's all back underwater now.

Anyway, ya, get a water tank, and clear all the burnable brush around your place.

Hell, we hit the 100 degree difference several times a year, every year. The weather in Alaska may be cold, but at least we don't have hurricanes and tornadoes. Two years ago we went from -38F to +42F in 24hrs..that was weird.

Latest posts

Back