100 Year Old Catawba

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, hardpan, the seedlings in that video are impressive, but I'd be concerned about winter hardiness. Grown in Mississippi from, presumably, local seed stock? Just sayin'.
That is a reasonable question. Another one is if a hardwood grows as fast as a soft wood does it keep its characteristics, what, if any, changes? I'm going to try a few. It might not be until the fall. I can't answer any questions, its beyond my knowledge. I look at it as an experiment with little to lose and hopefully fill in some open areas. I just hate to plant the bare root seedlings that typically are stunted for years before they get into "grow" gear.

It is said that the largest northern catalpa tree recorded is in Indiana. 85' tall - an 81' spread and a 290" circumference at 4.5' above ground level. Got that beat Chris?:)

50" diameter is way bigger than any one I've ever seen. Lets see, good solid ring, and I've seen pictures of roads going through big Red Woods.........nah I'm not going there.

50" diameter is way bigger than any one I've ever seen. Lets see, good solid ring, and I've seen pictures of roads going through big Red Woods.........nah I'm not going there.
I'm hoping they don't call it an extra room and change my tax assessment......

I don't know if expanding foam is the state of the art in tree repair, but I promise it is not an effective moisture barrier in cars. In fact, it absorbs water and causes rot in vehicles.

A nice replacement might be a Sycamore. They're a fast growing but long lived hardwood and the adult tree bark is a contrast of brown and white that would complement the stone walls nicely.
sycamore+trunk.jpg

I don't know if expanding foam is the state of the art in tree repair, but I promise it is not an effective moisture barrier in cars. In fact, it absorbs water and causes rot in vehicles.

A nice replacement might be a Sycamore. They're a fast growing but long lived hardwood and the adult tree bark is a contrast of brown and white that would complement the stone walls nicely.
sycamore+trunk.jpg
I really love sycamores and presently do not have any. I have plans to plant one, but in a different spot replacing a large white ash I had to drop earlier this year.

I really love sycamores and presently do not have any. I have plans to plant one, but in a different spot replacing a large white ash I had to drop earlier this year.

I love Sycamores too. I planted a small tree in the back but I need to provide better protection from the deer so it can grow without being defoliated once a year.

Looks like the American Chestnut Foundation is selling blight resistant trees right now. That's another fast growing and long lived native species.

Latest posts

Back