100th oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
changing teeth on the firewood processor in Toledo
I found this on my computer tonight, it is from a clearing job I did in march.
010_7.jpg

No wonder that thing is buried. An 18 inch on an 017. Damn. I am amazed you cut that thing down with that little thing. WOW.:blob2:

I have an 036 - nice medium saw. I run mine with an 18" bar. If you want to literally double your production in bigger wood, take the same bar and chain, touch up your depth guages a wee bit, and mount in on an 066 or bigger Husky - sorry - don't know their model numbers.

Watch the chips fly. I promise you that your production will double. (Or conversely, you get to rest twice as long and still get the same amount down :D )

R.I.P. 017 - it must have earned its rest:angel:

The Husky,036, or just 36 few years back is my favorite saw of all time.I use them as my climbing saw.I don't use anything with a top handle period(pruning saw).200$ is cheap these days,and mine all last about 2 years,plus I usually can make it back to the ground without going to my next favorite,The Sthil 044.Its all a balance thing for me.

Monkeypuzzle,
I used the Husky 36 as a climbing saw for several years and I loved it. Good power and balance, not too heavy. Now I use the Stihl 009. I tried the Husky and Stihl top handled saws, but I found them very awkward to use. They're also about twice the price.

We just bought an 044 and put a 16" bar with a chisel chain!
O my! butter just plain butter! I like it better than our 066!

Yep, yep, the right saw with the right chain makes a big differance.

I have an 066 with a 36 in bar I'm runnin square half-skip to buck the big stuff up. Though I'm not going to sharpen that thing myself!

I't is nice to have a BIG budget!

Can't you see it? The hinge is that little piece in the center that the bar couldn't reach.

if we are gettin into climbing saws here, i love my 020T. it does a good job for me. once in a while i have to bring up my 044. that really kicks butt up in the trees. down on the ground my employee uses an 029 farm boss. i like it a lot too, plenty of power, and holds up well with the 20 inch bar. the 044 i mostly use for felling and bucking mid size trees, and when necessary for up in the trees for chunking. my 066 i dont use much any more. that is only for felling and bucking big timber. i feel though now that i may want to buy an 088 magnum for some larger trees. and maybe get a 30" bar for my 066.

Now that we are getting into climbing saws, I decided to jump the fence and get a 009 because I was not going to pay for a 335xpt. I should be receiving it in a few days. Any opinions on it? I know this is not the saw forum but you guys are the ones climbing up there. Thanks.

huskyman

Good luck with it. the 009 is really just a basic cheap saw. My dad (who bought my lawn business many years ago) keeps a couple 009's lawn truck. For about the same cost, I prefer the echo 3400 for climbing. mine have held up great and they are cheap enough to throw away if they get busted up. I guess it all boils down to which you prefer and what you are comfortable with. The top handle is too far back for my preference on the 009.

I like the 09's. I used to climb with the Husky 36, but my local dealer switched from Husky's to Stihl, so I switched too. I never could get used to those expensive top-handled saws.

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
Now that we are getting into climbing saws, I decided to jump the fence and get a 009<snip>Any opinions on it?

Dredfully underpowered. If yuo climb regularly, get a good climbing saw. I think the 025 is well worth the cash, no mater how much I cry. If I were getting a bucket saw I would do an 011 if they still are made.

My 020T has a 12in bar, and it is great. Mine not, The Clubs. I had an 009 as a loaner for a few days and was near tears for the lack of efficiency.

Back