10mm 044!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have finally scored a oem 044 10mm, so Do I have to worry about breaking the crank? How dose this saw do with a 25in bar?

Good to know, do you think a 32. Would be too much?
Yes. You need to oil the bar and it won’t do a 32 stock.

And in the crank, they are reliable good old saws. The crank was weaker than the 12mm one, but it was also lighter and the engine spooled up faster. One of the best factory jugs ever produced by Stihl. The exhaust roof is right in the edge of being too flat-it’s the shape porter’s try to achieve.

I've been told that the common issue on the crank is to tighten up a hot chain when cutting then not loosening when saw is stored. The chain contracts and pulls hard on the crank, eventually stressing the crank into failing. Just be careful to maintain the saw and it should last you a lifetime. Use 32:1 mix on it, it’s not designed for 50:1. Ill see if I can find an old brochure from Stihl. I think I have one from an 064 produced in that era.

I have a 044 Stilh 10mm I am putting back together over the weekend. Fingers crossed. Everything I have read says they are are good saw with minimal issues.

I think unless you are being stupid with the saw and I mean using the wrong oil/fuel mix or simply abusing the saw without giving it the correct cleaning and servicing it should last you a long while.

Justin

m My own early 044 10mm saw had 10 years of heavy production use on it, all the paint worn off the exterior of the crankcase and many Helicoils holding the recoil and top cover on but still solid mechanically so I put a new OEM piston and rings in it , new lines and a carb rebuild. It sat as a backup to the other 4 of the 044 saws I was running at the time. A good friend fell on hard times, lost his job and had little left so I gave him the saw to buck up firewood for pay, that was 8 years ago and that saw is still running doing hardwood firewood duty.

m My own early 044 10mm saw had 10 years of heavy production use on it, all the paint worn off the exterior of the crankcase and many Helicoils holding the recoil and top cover on but still solid mechanically so I put a new OEM piston and rings in it , new lines and a carb rebuild. It sat as a backup to the other 4 of the 044 saws I was running at the time. A good friend fell on hard times, lost his job and had little left so I gave him the saw to buck up firewood for pay, that was 8 years ago and that saw is still running doing hardwood firewood duty.
One of the best saws!

I recently picked up brand new 044 10mm ported by Tree Monkey.

I agree, one heck of a saw. Weighs close to or less than my 360s but will cut with a stock 461. It has quickly become one of my favorites...

I sold my real clean 440 magnum to my cousin to subsidize an older10 mm 044. I didn’t know it was when I bought it. Took it home and saw the slanted fins and the serial number lined up. The saw was (is) lightly used. Even came with the case and owners manual. It runs awesome and one of the best looking saws too. No mods to it at all. Runs so strong never even considered it. I have enough saws that none in any class could ever get worn out. My keeper saws should outlast me and go to my son. The 044 will be one of them. These saws have a great reputation. Well respected and regarded across the board. I am not brand loyal. I try to get the best saws from all the manufacturers over the years. They have all made good and bad.

Yes. You need to oil the bar and it won’t do a 32 stock.

And in the crank, they are reliable good old saws. The crank was weaker than the 12mm one, but it was also lighter and the engine spooled up faster. One of the best factory jugs ever produced by Stihl. The exhaust roof is right in the edge of being too flat-it’s the shape porter’s try to achieve.

I've been told that the common issue on the crank is to tighten up a hot chain when cutting then not loosening when saw is stored. The chain contracts and pulls hard on the crank, eventually stressing the crank into failing. Just be careful to maintain the saw and it should last you a lifetime. Use 32:1 mix on it, it’s not designed for 50:1. Ill see if I can find an old brochure from Stihl. I think I have one from an 064 produced in that era.
Thanks for all of the info, do you know why this saw has .061 squish? That seems really high. It was a saw from a fire department so did they make it easier start with a thick gasket?

20210216_205058.jpg
I recently got one that needed a piston, which I replaced with a meteor. I am pleasantly surprised by this saw ! I'm not sure about the tales of crank failures but I have full comp chisel chain and a 25" bar on it and would hesitate to run a 28 with skip.
Factory squish was .036 on mine originally, I lowered it to. 018 and installed a elasto start handle. .061 squish makes me think someone has had that saw apart? How are you measuring it?

Latest posts

Back