10mm 044!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the info, do you know why this saw has .061 squish? That seems really high. It was a saw from a fire department so did they make it easier start with a thick gasket?
There are 2 factory gaskets available. A metal .017 gasket and a paper .034 gasket. The .034 gasket was supposedly for geographis areas with bad/low octane fuel.

Make sure you use the thinnest solder possible to check squish or your readings may be off.
If anyone has any info or links to threads / pics etc in regard to early 044 crank problems / failures please post them.
I have a snapped one Phil. Next time I pull it out I’ll get some pics and post them. It snapped where the counterweight met the pin.

There are 2 factory gaskets available. A metal .017 gasket and a paper .034 gasket. The .034 gasket was supposedly for geographis areas with bad/low octane fuel.

Make sure you use the thinnest solder possible to check squish or your readings may be off.

I have a snapped one Phil. Next time I pull it out I’ll get some pics and post them. It snapped where the counterweight met the pin.
I am about to put my 044 back together during the week and i ordered a base gasket online and received and metal type. So I went into my Stihl dealer today and they had some in stock but their's was paper. So which is best.

The one i removed was paper, should i replace it with another Stihl paper gasket or the non genuine metal unit ?

Justin

Being on the site for as long as a lot of us have, it’s usually made clear the saws that have significant failure points. Crankshaft snapping would definitely show up. The fact the the 044 has such a great reputation and strong support leads me to not be concerned. I’ve worked with fools who’ve destroyed equipment in ways you’d never imagine. “There he goes with the tractor to move some snow, wonder if he’ll bring it back with the 3pt hitch broke!” Not saying some people didn’t break a crank, but of that small amount what percent was operator error. Enjoy the saw.

I bought my 044 back when the 038 was sill in Stihls catalog. Thing was bullet proof had thousands of hours on it . Most impressive saw I owned. Had it back when I was paid to drop timber and buck logs. 28-32 inch bars were comman out here in softwood country oiled just fine.
I knew a couple guys who broke early 066 cranks on almost new saws. Was watching one when it broke

View attachment 891887
I recently got one that needed a piston, which I replaced with a meteor. I am pleasantly surprised by this saw ! I'm not sure about the tales of crank failures but I have full comp chisel chain and a 25" bar on it and would hesitate to run a 28 with skip.
Factory squish was .036 on mine originally, I lowered it to. 018 and installed a elasto start handle. .061 squish makes me think someone has had that saw apart? How are you measuring it?
Solder and a .005 Digital caliper but I feel like it must be wrong, the saw blows 150psi. By the looks of it no one has had the saw apart but who knows.

I am about to put my 044 back together during the week and i ordered a base gasket online and received and metal type. So I went into my Stihl dealer today and they had some in stock but their's was paper. So which is best.

The one i removed was paper, should i replace it with another Stihl paper gasket or the non genuine metal unit ?

Justin

Justin
No choice but to measure. Personally never saw an OEM thin paper gasket for the 1128 model.

If a saw engine is all OEM then it should be safe to run either gasket in them, they were designed as such. The possibility of a problem comes more from swapping around and mixing of aftermarket parts with OEM parts but from my experience the aftermarket parts are made with far larger clearance properties. A bone stock 044 would be too tight to eliminate the gasket altogether, most I have assembled with OEM parts were head slappers or just a couple thou squish.

I have 2 stock 044’s both with gasket delete. One has .022” squish the other has .027” both are ported and run/oil 28” bar full comp no trouble at all.

Last time I asked for the 0.5mm paper gasket (1128 029 2300) the local Stihl deal said they'er NLA.
There is a tech bulletin (16.94) that mentions the metal gasket (1128 029 2301)as the new standard.

I also have a slant-fin 10mm 044 with a gasket delete. IIRC, it was ~.022. My 1st-year 046 D-jug was spot-on .020 with gasket delete.

Those two both put my 064 to shame, btw. Easily my two favorite saws.
My ms460 & 038 Magll put my early 064 to shame with 28" bars. Now with 32" bar the tables turned and the 064 put the 460 to shame hard. In shorter bars, the higher rpm of the 76cc saw beats the torque of the 85cc saw. I believe the 460 is a better firewood saw, and the 064 is a better PNW fallers saw.

Back