120volt Chainsaws, are they any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well I had a guy bring a Saw to have a chain sharpened.
It's Electric used an extension cord. Saw looked pretty good.
The chain is a skip tooth. It's like a 12 amp saw. But alas, the drive gear is plastic or nylon and has broke teeth.
This caused me to google and I found quiet a bit of information that's just crap IMHO. Reviews based upon reviews anyone can find by reading Amazun or other sites. Frankly several years ago I gave an Electric cord chainsaw a Worx a try after reading a review. It's supposed to be 3 hp. Does have a metal spur gear driving the chain. It's ok for light duty near the shop but not something I'll use very much. Walmart sells a WORX for pruning. It has a .404 bar and chain. It's lighter than a gas pruning saw and has auto var oiling. At about 100 dollars. I have a light gas generator so for a few limbs a year it's ok. I have a couple old Remington electric saws. No oiler. Just thumb pushing on the oil cap but they are light saws. They are bought as limbing saws and when the pole is removed can easily be used with one hand because they are so compact. I found them handy for building things. Removing flooring when you know there are no nails. In one Mobile home repair I hit staples. The saw removed a few staples and building a barn was handy cutting knotches in poles. You can't buy that saw without the pole which makes it to expensive. Years ago I paid about 35 bucks. Remington messed up (IMHO) because they made a version with an extended longer handle but I hated it. Basically the same saw just not as handy as the compact one. I sent it back as soon as I looked at it. They showed a photo of the compact saw. Walmart sells a small Worx chainsaw for about 50 bucks that looks a lot like the Worx pole saw BUT THAT SAW doesn't have a proper oiling system.I refuse to pay 50 bucks for something that doesn't oil the chain. Yet I see rave reviews.
Frankly I think the best priced saw is not based upon the initial cash outlay but upon how well and how long the saw performs. Unless you need to use an electric because you saw inside or use it for something like building you may be happier with Gas. So all the homeowners complain about gas mixing and fuel going bad. First. You can mix a quart of gas easy and store up to a year if you use Seafoam. Id recommend at least half a gallon. 2 ounces of oil a Table Spoon of Seafoam. And NEVER BUY ETHANOL.
If your saw sits s month and you haven't needed it go crank it up and let it run at half speed a few minutes. Don't add more gas but keep the bar oil half full. By the end of the year run the saw empty. Pour out any remaining fuel. Remove air filter lightly spray WD40 into carb LOOSEN the chain and store. Anytime You store a saw ESPECIALLY IN COLD weather loosen the chain.
After reading a ton of BS reviews by fools MY opinion is an Echo cs 352 if bought at a good price is the BEST BANG FOR the buck unless you need a bigger saw. Also. DON'T be fooled by the cs310 lie. NO the ONLY difference is NOT ONLY the motor size. I also owned a cs 310. At 200 bucks it's not a good deal. Just a few more bucks and the cs352 with a 34cc motor, better air filter, better Antibive is twice the saw IMHO.
Saturday I was bucking a downed tree. First saw out. The cs352 removing climbs up to 6 inches. Second saw Sthil 029 with Muffler Mod 24 inch professional chain rim drive 3/8. On the trailer, Echo cs 490. Stock .325 chain. Sthil 029, 54cc. Echo cs490, 50 cc.
So just the 4 cc bigger Sthil engine cut circles around the 50 cc Echo.
It's amazing what only 4 cc can do.
That said, I do like the Echo cs490. It's much lighter. The Shil 029 is almost as heavy as the Echo cs 590.
A firewood cutter with two bars and chains could do a lot of work with a pair of Echo saws. Either a 490 and a 590/620 or a cs352 and a 490/590.
Other than that I stay away from odd branded saws. Your opinion may be different. But truly, don't I no longer believe all the bs reviews by so called independenreceived_410704846467756.jpegt reviews.

The chain is a skip tooth. It's like a 12 amp saw. But alas, the drive gear is plastic or nylon and has broke teeth.
This caused me to google and I found quiet a bit of information that's just crap IMHO. Reviews based upon reviews anyone can find by reading Amazun or other sites. Frankly several years ago I gave an Electric cord chainsaw a Worx a try after reading a review. It's supposed to be 3 hp. Does have a metal spur gear driving the chain. It's ok for light duty near the shop but not something I'll use very much. Walmart sells a WORX for pruning. It has a .404 bar and chain. It's lighter than a gas pruning saw and has auto var oiling. At about 100 dollars. I have a light gas generator so for a few limbs a year it's ok. I have a couple old Remington electric saws. No oiler. Just thumb pushing on the oil cap but they are light saws. They are bought as limbing saws and when the pole is removed can easily be used with one hand because they are so compact. I found them handy for building things. Removing flooring when you know there are no nails. In one Mobile home repair I hit staples. The saw removed a few staples and building a barn was handy cutting knotches in poles. You can't buy that saw without the pole which makes it to expensive. Years ago I paid about 35 bucks. Remington messed up (IMHO) because they made a version with an extended longer handle but I hated it. Basically the same saw just not as handy as the compact one. I sent it back as soon as I looked at it. They showed a photo of the compact saw. Walmart sells a small Worx chainsaw for about 50 bucks that looks a lot like the Worx pole saw BUT THAT SAW doesn't have a proper oiling system.I refuse to pay 50 bucks for something that doesn't oil the chain. Yet I see rave reviews.
Frankly I think the best priced saw is not based upon the initial cash outlay but upon how well and how long the saw performs. Unless you need to use an electric because you saw inside or use it for something like building you may be happier with Gas. So all the homeowners complain about gas mixing and fuel going bad. First. You can mix a quart of gas easy and store up to a year if you use Seafoam. Id recommend at least half a gallon. 2 ounces of oil a Table Spoon of Seafoam. And NEVER BUY ETHANOL.
If your saw sits s month and you haven't needed it go crank it up and let it run at half speed a few minutes. Don't add more gas but keep the bar oil half full. By the end of the year run the saw empty. Pour out any remaining fuel. Remove air filter lightly spray WD40 into carb LOOSEN the chain and store. Anytime You store a saw ESPECIALLY IN COLD weather loosen the chain.
After reading a ton of BS reviews by fools MY opinion is an Echo cs 352 if bought at a good price is the BEST BANG FOR the buck unless you need a bigger saw. Also. DON'T be fooled by the cs310 lie. NO the ONLY difference is NOT ONLY the motor size. I also owned a cs 310. At 200 bucks it's not a good deal. Just a few more bucks and the cs352 with a 34cc motor, better air filter, better Antibive is twice the saw IMHO.
Saturday I was bucking a downed tree. First saw out. The cs352 removing climbs up to 6 inches. Second saw Sthil 029 with Muffler Mod 24 inch professional chain rim drive 3/8. On the trailer, Echo cs 490. Stock .325 chain. Sthil 029, 54cc. Echo cs490, 50 cc.
That said, I do like the Echo cs490. It's much lighter. The Shil 029 is almost as heavy as the Echo cs 590.
A firewood cutter with two bars and chains could do a lot of work with a pair of Echo saws. Either a 490 and a 590/620 or a cs352 and a 490/590.
Other than that I stay away from odd branded saws. Your opinion may be different. But truly, don't I no longer believe all the bs reviews by so called independenView attachment 856663t reviews.
Yes

Other than that I stay away from odd branded saws. Your opinion may be different. But truly, don't I no longer believe all the bs reviews by so called independenView attachment 856663t reviews.
My combo is cs-400 14" (18" spare bar) and cs-590 24" (20" spare bar) those electric models is like 066 sitting next to Ms 170

Latest posts

Back