'15 Echo CS620PW Information

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering Muffler Mod for my CS620PW,

it's had about 8-9 tanks ran through it, I've already trimmed the tabs on the carb adjusters in an attempt to tune the carb properly. (set extremely rich from factory)
without a MM the "L" is set at 1.5 turns out, and "H" is just a touch more than 1/2 a turn out. Even with H being only 1/2 turn the saw is still very fat... it 4 strokes out of the cut and i still hear it 4 stroking in the cut unless I really lean into it.

Couple Questions:
Does L 1.5 CCW, H .5CCW seem normal for the 620?

For those that have done the MM: Do you remember having the same issue tuning before MM? What would be a good baseline for tuning after MM? where did you find the sweet spot after MM?

Considering the many different ways to MM the 620, can someone recommend a particular Mod that will provide the best return in performance to noise levels?

Id like to gain as much flow as possible with out going overboard in the noise department. If possible I would also like to maintain the factory Muffler appearance, not a deal breaker... just a preference.

it 4 strokes out of the cut and i still hear it 4 stroking in the cut unless I really lean into it.
If you can identify 4 stroking(when it is and when it isnt) then tune it in the wood. Lean it out so it 4 strokes when you lift it out of the wood and no need to really be concerned about how many turns in or half turns out etc. Tuning a saw in the wood is the best and most telling of any method in my opinion and experience.

I modded mine pretty closely to most of the pics you will find online. I opened up the deflector, drilled a hole in the 45 degree piece1645488388770.png, and drilled a hole into the internal tube. I would say its not uncomfortably loud when wearing ear pro. The pic is not my muffler - just a reference.

Considering Muffler Mod for my CS620PW,

it's had about 8-9 tanks ran through it, I've already trimmed the tabs on the carb adjusters in an attempt to tune the carb properly. (set extremely rich from factory)
without a MM the "L" is set at 1.5 turns out, and "H" is just a touch more than 1/2 a turn out. Even with H being only 1/2 turn the saw is still very fat... it 4 strokes out of the cut and i still hear it 4 stroking in the cut unless I really lean into it.

Couple Questions:
Does L 1.5 CCW, H .5CCW seem normal for the 620?

For those that have done the MM: Do you remember having the same issue tuning before MM? What would be a good baseline for tuning after MM? where did you find the sweet spot after MM?

Considering the many different ways to MM the 620, can someone recommend a particular Mod that will provide the best return in performance to noise levels?

Id like to gain as much flow as possible with out going overboard in the noise department. If possible I would also like to maintain the factory Muffler appearance, not a deal breaker... just a preference.
The 620 has an auxiliary hi jet that always flows x amount of fuel at full throttle, and the h screw adds fuel to that amount. It’s safe to have it turned in all the way if it’s still 4 stroking. There may be an alternative sized main jet available. If the jet is removable, it could be soldered shut and drilled to the proper smaller size. Running more oil in your mix might also help lean it out some

I modded mine pretty closely to most of the pics you will find online. I opened up the deflector, drilled a hole in the 45 degree pieceView attachment 967023, and drilled a hole into the internal tube. I would say its not uncomfortably loud when wearing ear pro. The pic is not my muffler - just a reference.
Are you satisfied with the performance gain?
would you do the same if you could start over?

I am quite a newbie to chainsaws. Most everything I do is copying the smart folks on here and YouTube. I wish I had a before and after for comparison but unfortunately I don't. I am happy with the saw's performance and would definitely do it again. There may be better ways to mod them but for now what I have is working fine.

I'd also add that without going to check my jets, they are somewhat close to what you have, may a bit more open on the high but I do use 40:1. Funny before I first started my saw new, I read all these stories about how lean Echo's are from the factory and was so nervous about burning it up that I made it super rich. I had no clue what 4 stroking sounded like and when I eventually bought a tach she was around 9k :surprised3:. I can hear 4 stroking and NOT 4 stroking...what I still struggle with is just 4 stroking so I generally err on the rich side. Always tinkering with it but typically its 12.5-13k ish if I remember correctly.

I am quite a newbie to chainsaws. Most everything I do is copying the smart folks on here and YouTube. I wish I had a before and after for comparison but unfortunately I don't. I am happy with the saw's performance and would definitely do it again. There may be better ways to mod them but for now what I have is working fine.

I'd also add that without going to check my jets, they are somewhat close to what you have, may a bit more open on the high but I do use 40:1. Funny before I first started my saw new, I read all these stories about how lean Echo's are from the factory and was so nervous about burning it up that I made it super rich. I had no clue what 4 stroking sounded like and when I eventually bought a tach she was around 9k :surprised3:. I can hear 4 stroking and NOT 4 stroking...what I still struggle with is just 4 stroking so I generally err on the rich side. Always tinkering with it but typically its 12.5-13k ish if I remember correctly.
What tach did you get ?

Hey folks 👋. Figured I’d introduce myself here after having read through all 122 pages of Echo goodness here. I’m Brandon in north Alabama and have some family property west of Chattanooga. Have a 2020 620PW I’ve pulled the caps off of and tuned a bit. Saw wears a 24” bar that I file by hand using round files. Saw is cleaned after each use. Had about 16 or so tanks through it and it feels like it gets better each and every time I run it, though as another mentioned, I can’t keep a chain wet with oil to save my life. Been through mostly oak, some cedar, and most recently a ridiculous 28” sweet gum. Ever tried to split that stuff? OMFG. I cut and split firewood for our Woodstock Survival Hybrid wood stove. Only had the stove since December of ‘21, but we went through about a cord of some wood I’d had up on racks that was nearing the end of its serviceable life as firewood and had started to get punky in spots.

I used to own a smaller echo wearing an 18” bar and I want to say it was a cs-400 but can’t remember 100% as some loser scumbag stole it (and my welder and other tools) from mini-storage during a move and have been pining for another since, hence getting the 620PW.

I also own an ES-250 blower/leaf vacuum and a GT-225 string trimmer that start just as easily as my saw. My saw starts in 3 pulls cold, 1 pull hot, as does the blower and trimmer. Had a Stihl string trimmer given to me years ago and that thing was a maintenance nightmare. New primer bulb each year, fuel lines dry rotted every other year and developed cracks, was a workout just trying to get it started. One year I got so frustrated I just threw it in the trash. I thought to myself “my chainsaw is a dream to start and use…wonder how much an echo string trimmer is?” Ended up with the blower too lol.

Anywho, good to be here and learn from all you guys. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Hello any 620 porters near Ohio / Midwest anyone can recommend? Still loving mine but got the itch to take it to next level. PMs work if you don’t want to post here, thanks.

Just thought I’d say hello and thank you all for the contributions. Got a 620 and instantly did a MM (cut deflector and drilled out the side holes inside), ground the tabs in limiters, and drilled out the sides of the black divider in the intake.
Not sure how it was stock but it runs really well after tuning the carb.
Here is the stock 24” bar and chain cutting down some black locust.
CB212441-7A46-49BC-B999-8375197D9EFE.jpeg

One thing I did notice is that there was some squeaking noise coming from the saw after 1.5 tanks. Doesn’t seem to affect it cutting. Might pull the muffler to see how the piston and cylinder look.

Back