15 years old first chainsaw recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would be the most durable and reliable saw?

• Stihl ms-261

• Stihl ms-271

• Stihl ms-291

• Echo cs-500p

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can you ask your dealer about a MS241 with 16" picco b&c? My 241 will stand up on a 16" bar buried in dense wood just fine.
Might leave you with enough $ for spare chains, files, etc.

Failing that, then the echo would be my choice over the 261. By the time you have the work and $ for adding another saw to your quiver, the echo will still be going strong and will be a good first saw in a two saw plan, just like the 241 is for me.
My only concern about this saw is the power, can it truly, easily run a 16" bar? Is the little extra power the 261 has is worth 150$? Either way it think I overlooked the 241 and i'll definitely have a tough decision to make...

My only concern about this saw is the power, can it truly, easily run a 16" bar? Is the little extra power the 261 has is worth 150$? Either way it think I overlooked the 241 and i'll definitely have a tough decision to make...
Yes, given the size of wood you mentioned you'll be working in, the 241 will be fine. Don't let the specs fool you; I had to kinda re-calibrate my own thinking when I first started using the 241 because it was boxing way above its weight. Also, it is light, sips fuel, and really well balanced, so you will not be tired from running a saw at the end of each and every day. I wouldn't think the 261's extra power would be worth $150 of spare chains, files, a few extra filters, or even a cheap grinder.

Yes, given the size of wood you mentioned you'll be working in, the 241 will be fine. Don't let the specs fool you; I had to kinda re-calibrate my own thinking when I first started using the 241 because it was boxing way above it's weight. Also, it is light, sips fuel, and really well balanced, so you will not be tired from running a saw at the end of each and every day. I wouldn't think the 261's extra power would be worth $150 of spare chains, files, a few extra filters, or even a cheap grinder.
Alright, might just have a winner! I think the compromise in power is worth it since its lighter weight and a that its a pro saw and is still a great price! Anyway, I think my choice is made! Thanks!

Alright, might just have a winner! I think the compromise in power is worth it since its lighter weight and a that its a pro saw and is still a great price! Anyway, I think my choice is made! Thanks!
When you get your dealer to price it up, it might be worth discussing with him your choices of chain, bar and sprocket. Personally, I'm a fan of the 3/8 low profile, .050 gauge chain, which in Stihl chain they call picco. Also, might pay to ask him about the rim sprocket option rather than the spur sprocket that they normally come with. The part number for the picco rim sprocket set-up (clutch drum+picco rim+washer and cir-clip) is:
1143 007 1002

Latest posts

Back