$150 per face cord in Chicago suburbs!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just visiting my brother about 3 hours from here in the North suburbs of Chicago, and I was seeing signs everywhere for firewood anywhere from $140-$160.

How ridiculous is that? Wish I woulda brought up a trailer full, could have came home with a pocket full of cash!

I was just amazed by that price, usually about $75 a face around here, and I think that's high!

That's not a bad price for metro areas.

Inner Boston suburbs seem to run from $120 for 1/4 cord to $350 for cord.

I've seen that $120 for 1/4 cord even in places like Worcester.

Don't forget, a lot of these folks don't use wood as their primary heat. They're just looking for a little wood for romantic fires and maybe as a backup if there's a power outage. They don't have the storage space on their city lots for three cords, yadda yadda yadda.

I was just visiting my brother about 3 hours from here in the North suburbs of Chicago, and I was seeing signs everywhere for firewood anywhere from $140-$160.

How ridiculous is that? Wish I woulda brought up a trailer full, could have came home with a pocket full of cash!

Around here wood goes for $150 a cord.

If we could transport wood I would be buying wood up like crazy, take it to the city and make a 300% profit.

I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and I see people paying outrageous prices also. I get logs from local tree services for free, then split it myself mostly by hand. Cash is tight right now or I would buy a splitter and try my hand at selling some for a profit. I heat my woodshop solely with wood and it's the only way to go for me.

Julian, glad to see somebody in the Chicago area still has some sense, I love going to see family up there, but the traffic and the congestion drives me so nuts I'm always happy to be on the way home!

Around here wood goes for $150 a cord.

If we could transport wood I would be buying wood up like crazy, take it to the city and make a 300% profit.

You can get it here for the same price, but it is mixed hardwood, 16 to 20" and quarter split. There is certainly a grade to firewood, and the 16" cut, small split, oak, maple, etc. commands a higher price.

Back