150T how to advance timing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok, I remember reading somewhere on here that this helps the little guy run better.
Something about filing off part of the "key".

So the other day I did a little exploration. removed the starter and pulled the flywheel. So, now I see what you mean, I think. File off part of the leading side of that key, and put the flywheel back on a few degrees advanced... Question... do you put a little loc-tite on to keep it from shifting? or is the tension of the nut sufficient?

I have opened up the muffler already. In fact I did that like 2 minutes after I started the saw brand new...

Thanks for ideas!

I don't use loctite. Just make sure the flywheel stays put when tightening the nut. It can inadvertently move back to the opposite side and you won't have gained anything. Tightened with an impact it will stay put.

Ok, I remember reading somewhere on here that this helps the little guy run better.
Something about filing off part of the "key".

So the other day I did a little exploration. removed the starter and pulled the flywheel. So, now I see what you mean, I think. File off part of the leading side of that key, and put the flywheel back on a few degrees advanced... Question... do you put a little loc-tite on to keep it from shifting? or is the tension of the nut sufficient?

I have opened up the muffler already. In fact I did that like 2 minutes after I started the saw brand new...

Thanks for ideas!
Mine is on with no key and it holds I did use a little locktite on the nut.

The keys for timing only. -0- to do with keeping it tight. I would think using an impact driver, you would have more chance of things moving than a smooth tightening.
Maybe use one of those strange tools called a torque wrench.

Ok, I think I will go after it one of these days, and advance the timing a little. What I might do is to put a drop of blue loctite on the taper on one side, and snug the nut up. No impact as the nut and threads are pretty small. I just don't want to permanently stick it if I have to remove it someday.

i usually drill a small hole down between the f/w and crank taper (opposite to the key slot)
then hammer a pin into the hole
and + 1 on the torque wrench vs a gun

When refitting a flywheel, the taper of the thread is what holds the flywheel, the key is only there to index it correctly to the crank, its dosent transmit any torque.
So all you need to do is clean it and make sure its free of oil, and torque up the nut to spec.
No loctite on the taper, some on the nut if you want to but I never bother, and you will be fine.
if you have advanced the flywheel, then a gentle tap from a deep socket on the flywheel to seat it to the crank in its needed position can help stop it moving when you first start to tighten the flywheel nut.

Back