1537g back wall GONE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper1081

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wife called me last night at work to tell me the house was full of smoke. I rushed home every thing was ok. This morn I cleaned out the fire box to find holes in the back wall of the fire box. So I disassembled the stove and found large cracks in the back wall. Going to start replacing the steel in it tomorrow. Stove is 6 years old.

If the metal is just cracked from heat not rusted real bad you could just weld cracks together. OR make small plates to go over cracks. Quick fix but best way would be to cut the whole back off make pattern and make new back piece. Then good to go for long time. My opin. :msp_smile:

I don't think I would go much thicker, two dissimilar sizes will expand and contract at different rates and could cause cracking/tearing. Looking at that picture it looks like that may be what happened. It looks like it cracked around the weld for that bung. Maybe some firebrick inside on the back wall?

I don't think I would go much thicker, two dissimilar sizes will expand and contract at different rates and could cause cracking/tearing. Looking at that picture it looks like that may be what happened. It looks like it cracked around the weld for that bung. Maybe some firebrick inside on the back wall?

It will get fire brick on the back wall. Going back with 1/4 inch. I was surprised that it was only made out of 1/8 steel.

It doesn't appear to be corrosion, but heat damage. There should be a cast iron insert at the base of the firebox to protect the steel. I had the same furnace for 25 years in this home, made of 7 gauge steel. I would eliminate the cause of the failure. Looks like it's been badly overfired. I understand the furnace's are of lower quality, but they should last far beyond 4 years.

Back