1557M or 1537G Cold Air return ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have the 1537G in the garage basement. It is approx 18" away from the fireplace wall in the back, 18" on the left side from the furnace and 24" away from a lolli column on the right. I need a filter box. I think I can the US Stove made one on the back of it but if I cut a hole in the filter box it will by pass the filter. How the Fudge do I connect the cold air return to the filter box so it filters the air. The filter is on the back of the box. Do they expect you to put a filter box over the filter box. If I run the cold air up the back as the manual shows it they it runs into the back of the exhaust pipe. Some reason when they show the correct setup they leave the exhaust pipe out in the Diagrams. My stove pipe runs right out the back into the chimney. It does not bend up and through the roof.

I didn't bother using the US Stove filter box. Too expensive and like you, it didn't fit with my configuration. I ended up going to a local HVAC supply house and buying a section of 12 x 20 duct work and an end cap. Total cost was about $30. Then I just cut a hole in the top for the return duct and a slit right behind the blowers for the filter. I also bought some 3/4"x3/4" aluminum angle from lowes ($7) and used that to support the filter in the duct. I have all the modifications I did to the furnace at this link:

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29412/

I hope this helps you out.

I was telling another HVAC buddy what I needed. He said let me ask the sheet metal guy at work. He told him the dimensions then told him to price it out whenever he got a chance. He was BSing with a buddy at work for about 30 min and the sheetmetal guy said your box is all done . Cost me a pack of Smokes for him... It amazing how some people these days want to charge you up the wazoo and there is still some good people out there. Now that I just picked up the box. The USStove one I ordered was on the way off backorder. Oh well..

if it is the same one as the ashley block off the back with a piece of galvinized sheet and buy a union that goes into the duct for the round pipe and hook it up that way .

2981981500104265295S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2813929890104265295S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2056863660104265295S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2529340150104265295S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back