16.5 HP vertical shaft Briggs IC motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this, it could be firewood related as you could use the motor for a splitter.
FREE to good home, owners tell me it runs fine, it's in an Agway riding mower. They gave it to me to scrap but if someone could use it I would just as soon have them have it.
The mower is all in tact and in good shape if you need a mower too. It just needs a battery. Oh yeah, it has a bagger also.
Feel free to give me a call if you want to come pick it up. Zip is 12873
802-three seven 9, four 5 nine six or 518-eight five 4, seven 5 five 5
otherwise it's going to the scrap heap next week.
dave

If it were me...

... I would remove the engine and any electrical parts (solenoid, etc) and save them in the corner. If it really bugs ya, put a ad on craigslist and get $20 for it. Somebody, somewhere needs that engine!

One of my splitters is running a 12.5 that was headed for the crusher, until I said "wait a sec..."

I just thought someone might need it for a splitter or something they are building. It's not like it "needs" to go right off so I'll wait and see what happens.

Well it looks as though this motor will be going to a good cause after all. My daughter called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that the JD 102 I had given them a few years back crapped out. The wife and I took the 1.5 hr drive with trailer in tow. I brought the JD home along with an old Ariens that belonged to my sil's grand dad. I removed the motor (17 hp briggs) from the JD chassis and took the bottom half off. Whoa man! The connecting rod is broken into several pieces and the cam is bent and the cam holder on the block is cracked wide open. It looks like the oil hasn't been changed or added to since I gave it to them. I bought it new and they needed it more than I did.
I'm hoping to replace the junk with the 16.5 out of the Agway. I guess things happen for a reason.
thanks,
dave

well after a little cussin' I got the 16.5 hp into the JD. I had to swap most everything, carb, tinwork etc. Hit the key and she fired right up, my daughter is so happy she doesn't have to buy a new rider.

well after a little cussin' I got the 16.5 hp into the JD. I had to swap most everything, carb, tinwork etc. Hit the key and she fired right up, my daughter is so happy she doesn't have to buy a new rider.

The only thing you need is the big sticker that says "CHECK OIL BEFORE USE" near the key. I love it when things fall into place.

JT

I love it when plan comes together!

Perfect! :D

Now go ahead and put a label on there that says "check the oil, dummy".
I would think that a "stern talking to" is in order as well as the label.

Glad that it worked out.

Latest posts

Back