18v vs petrol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80series

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question regarding 18v vs petrol chainsaws. I currently run petrol for my firewood needs. I have plentiful free access to Poplar and Willow from local rivers. I'm thinking of swapping to an 18v saw. I have a 4x4 equipped with the means to charge 18v batteries via an auxiliary battery and inverter. My cutting is generally not big logs. Average around 6 to 10 inches. A lot of stopping and starting and crawling over logs etc. Just wondering about ditching petrol and running several batteries. Some could be charging while I'm working. Interested in people's opinions. Thank you

Have a friend who has a pace maker and has to run the 18v saw-he hates it...Stay with gas...

I have a Sthil MSA 140. I dunno the voltage, but it’s ok for smaller stuff and limbing. It uses a 3/8 picco chain/12” bar. sthil makes a few others a bit bigger. Husky’s battery option also looked nice but were a bit heavier than the sthil. Battery lasts 30-45 min of sawing time. oil tank lasts a battery.

I just bought the DeWalt 20v. I'm very impressed with it.
I used it a fair bit recently on a tree job. Of course it doesn't have the power of a gas saw, but it does the job quite well. I didn't even bother to switch out the chain (yet). I've got some full chisel I'll use for it later.
I can't tell you how long a battery lasts, for I never managed to run one down yet. But I run only 5 and 6 amp-hour batteries. I would imagine you would only need 2 batteries for a day's work. You can also run this saw on the 60v batteries.

Here is the Amazon website, and the 'most helpful review' is from a professional arborist.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS6...ds=dewalt+chainsaw&qid=1599560832&sr=8-2&th=1

I just bought the DeWalt 20v. I'm very impressed with it.
I used it a fair bit recently on a tree job. Of course it doesn't have the power of a gas saw, but it does the job quite well. I didn't even bother to switch out the chain (yet). I've got some full chisel I'll use for it later.
I can't tell you how long a battery lasts, for I never managed to run one down yet. But I run only 5 and 6 amp-hour batteries. I would imagine you would only need 2 batteries for a day's work. You can also run this saw on the 60v batteries.

Here is the Amazon website, and the 'most helpful review' is from a professional arborist.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS620B-Compact-Cordless-Chainsaw/dp/B073FTGBZY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+chainsaw&qid=1599560832&sr=8-2&th=1

Sort of in the same boat but not really. As im cutting through my ash tree crisis im leaving all the tops in the woods and lots of good wood just have much larger wood to harvest. In the winter I go out while im burning wood and look for stuff to throw in the furnace. I have thought good about the battery saw and run all dewalt tools for work and would definatly go with the dewalt saw over any other cordless tool. But I have to many under 45cc saws to buy another small saw. Likely ill use my corona hand saw or the makita dcs401 which is quite the little saw.

Hello, I have a question regarding 18v vs petrol chainsaws. I currently run petrol for my firewood needs. I have plentiful free access to Poplar and Willow from local rivers. I'm thinking of swapping to an 18v saw. I have a 4x4 equipped with the means to charge 18v batteries via an auxiliary battery and inverter. My cutting is generally not big logs. Average around 6 to 10 inches. A lot of stopping and starting and crawling over logs etc. Just wondering about ditching petrol and running several batteries. Some could be charging while I'm working. Interested in people's opinions. Thank you
Probably better to frame the question: 'Battery vs. Petrol'? there are numerous brands of battery-powered saws, at different voltages, and, like the cordless contractor tools before them, they just keep getting better, and more widely used. I have used them for 9 years.

Lots of advantages, and lots of discussion in threads like these:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-58-volt-cordless-chainsaw.277864/http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-cs300-40v-cordless-chainsaw.286385/
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/
Most of the saws are 36 volts or higher. Better ones are said to be comparable to 40cc gas/petrol.
Key thing is to look at the battery platform: all the tools run by that battery. You may also want to run a pole saw, or other products with the same batteries.
If you are already invested in 18 volt batteries for tools by companies like: DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, etc., then start by looking at that company's products.

Philbert

Do you plan on using it in the winter?

The 120v Redback saw I had wouldn't work if it got too cold.

More voltage isn't necessarily better.
More voltage means more cells in series and this adds resistance inline with load reducing power to load.
If you go lower voltage and parallel cells providing more CURRENT you reduce internal losses.
Modern brushless, electronically commutated motors are more efficient than older motors.
I've used the Milwaukee M18. We had a tool demo day with our apprentices. They cut telephone poles and 6x6 posts on and off during the session for the better half of a day. I'd say it was roughly on par with an MS250. The HighCapacity 18v got really good run time I thought.

I run four different battery saws from the Echo 58v down to the little Makita 18v. Like them all. If you are a young stud you'll probably be happier with a gas saw, but for us older guys the electrics keep up nicely.

The 120v Redback saw I had wouldn't work if it got too cold.
As I recall, you threw the battery and saw out in the snow, and “pre-froze“ it before trying to cut with it?

I keep my batteries warm in the house, or next to the heater in my vehicle, and carry them in an insulated beverage cooler during cold weather.

I have only used them down to 20°F, but Redback sold them for use in their ice fishing augers too, so they must work in colder weather.

You do have to treat them right. The batteries generate some heat as they are being used, but that does not help if you start out with them frozen. Some of the batteries have separate posted temperature ranges for: storage, charging, and use.

Philbert

As I recall, you threw the battery and saw out in the snow, and “pre-froze“ it before trying to cut with it?

I keep my batteries warm in the house, or next to the heater in my vehicle, and carry them in an insulated beverage cooler during cold weather.

I have only used them down to 20°F, but Redback sold them for use in their ice fishing augers too, so they must work in colder weather.

You do have to treat them right. The batteries generate some heat as they are being used, but that does not help if you start out with them frozen. Some of the batteries have separate posted temperature ranges for: storage, charging, and use.

Philbert

Memory is a bit fuzzy. I do remember the saw not working if the battery got cold.
Nothing against the Redback setup, it's just a limitation of current lithium batteries.

Was just something to add on the gas vs cordless thought.
Couldn't leave the cordless saw in a service truck, truck toolbox, etc if it's cold.

The battery powered ice augers seem to be best suited for more warmer temps, thin ice and smaller holes - that's probably perfect for many fisherman.

I think my experiences in ice fishing may be more on the extreme. The lake we fished usually had 3+ ft of ice and we preferred a 10" hole so it wouldn't freeze up as quickly.

There isnt a battery that I can think of that doesnt loose capacity when it's cold out. Just the nature of the beast. When lithium first hit the market it wasnt even worth taking them out in 30* weather the old nicd and nimh batteries would out perform them. Times have changed and lithium is king, but they still like a bit of heat in them to work properly.
My old man has the ryobi cordless saw. Not very gutsy but good for the small stuff he does most of the time. He has his stihl 026 for back up/ heavier work. Funny bit is he still prefers his old corded saw. "No batteries, no gas, gets everything in the front yard, what's not to love?" Hes funny.

The battery operated drills didn’t work well at first. Now some contractors don’t even carry extension cords in their trucks. Table saws, air compressors, etc. Oh yeah, and Tesla’s.

Philbert

I have a Sthil MSA 140. I dunno the voltage, but it’s ok for smaller stuff and limbing. It uses a 3/8 picco chain/12” bar. sthil makes a few others a bit bigger. Husky’s battery option also looked nice but were a bit heavier than the sthil. Battery lasts 30-45 min of sawing time. oil tank lasts a battery.

I have a 435 which has suited me well and recently got the ms462 since the trees I cut got larger and thicker. I have some massive brush piles and smaller 3 inch or so logs that the larger chainsaws missed. I tossed around the idea of picking up the msa 140 to reduce some noise and pollution for the smaller tasks. Also considered the gta 26 but when I said brush pile, I meant brush piles that are rather large and scattered throughout my yard lol.

Alright i just ordered the dewalt 20v chainsaw. I have so many tops and dead wood in the woods that I could easily walk out and cut while burning wood. Lots that I don't need to start the tractor for and could carry out in an arm full with a saw on my back. Hopefully this thing is as useful as the woodshark. I do a lot of scrounging in the winter in the woods.

Alright i just ordered the dewalt 20v chainsaw. . . . I do a lot of scrounging in the winter in the woods.
Let us know what you think!

Again, keep the saw, batteries, and bar oil in the house (or truck cab) as long as you can in really cold weather, and thin the bar oil 25% with kerosene.

Philbert

Let us know what you think!

Again, keep the saw, batteries, and bar oil in the house (or truck cab) as long as you can in really cold weather, and thin the bar oil 25% with kerosene.

Philbert

Will do. Everything I read and watched about it were good. I do a lot of cutting of pallets to get the fire going and like to walk the woods in the winter with a hand saw so im hoping this makes all that easier and allows me to use wood from the woods ,do to the recent ash tree crisis, where 35+ large trees were cut and ive gotten half pulled out with the tops left in the woods. Im hoping for some generous wood heat for a few years.

Latest posts

Back