19 and counting...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Ranch

Find a job you love, never work a day in your life
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
attachment.php

My rough calculation has this at plus or minus 19 cords. My goal is 25 - that should be good for about 3 years worth. Looks like I won't get there this year though because soon I will change from counting up to 19 to down from 19.

Very nice!!!!

I am consistently impressed by you guys and your straight rows. I swear you snap chalk lines first.:biggrin:

My rough calculation has this at plus or minus 19 cords. My goal is 25 - that should be good for about 3 years worth. Looks like I won't get there this year though because soon I will change from counting up to 19 to down from 19.

:jawdrop:wowwee! Rep sent yer way! Wish mine looked like that...I just have sort of a mountain covered with a tarp.

Last edited:
I wish my outside stacks looked like that, I even try to watch how I stack them and still comes out leaning every which way. How do you get your rows so straight? You must take your time stacking.

I wish my outside stacks looked like that, I even try to watch how I stack them and still comes out leaning every which way. How do you get your rows so straight? You must take your time stacking.

Lay out the pallets straight and just follow the line. :D The best looking splits go on the end of the rows. Straight stuff goes on the bottom. Got 2 tapered splits? Lay them back to back. The real ugly stuff goes on the top. I spend a lot more time cutting and splitting than stacking - just seems to come naturally I guess. Probably evidence of a mis-spent youth playing wtih blocks.

Lay out the pallets straight and just follow the line. :D The best looking splits go on the end of the rows. Straight stuff goes on the bottom. Got 2 tapered splits? Lay them back to back. The real ugly stuff goes on the top. I spend a lot more time cutting and splitting than stacking - just seems to come naturally I guess. Probably evidence of a mis-spent youth playing wtih blocks.

Nice Stacks..
Do you cover them for the winter or keep them as is.

Do you cover them for the winter or keep them as is.

No cover year-round. You can see in the picture that most of it does get at least some sun even with a bit of canopy. Last year was no issue, but usually just shake the snow off a few splits before I put them in the woodburner. I'm not saying that's the best way, it's just what I do.

No cover year-round. You can see in the picture that most of it does get at least some sun even with a bit of canopy. Last year was no issue, but usually just shake the snow off a few splits before I put them in the woodburner. I'm not saying that's the best way, it's just what I do.

I'm coming back around to that. I used to not cover. Then tried covering for a few years and did not notice a huge difference.

Very, very nice... a man after my own heart.
Just gotta' love neat stacks... especially if they're gonna' need to stand for a couple years or more.
That's right about where I'm at... 19 cord.
The difference is I won't be "counting-down" anytime real soon. I just started cutting standing-dead elm this past weekend... probably do somewhere in the 4-6 cord range of that and toss it directly in the basement, so I won't need to touch my purdy stacked oak until sometime well after the new year.

Stack rep incoming.

Back