1968 chevelle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I gut pulled up in an all original red 68 shevelle two door coop in mint condition. To pick wood. This scar had all matching ven numbers with a ss 427 and was the cleanest chevelle I have ever seen, I looked like it rolled of the show room floor. I expressed entrest in the car and he called me to day wanting to see if i was interste d in buy buying it.
Gonna go look at it again. He didn't ask for a price, and Im going see what he is asking first. My first car was a 68 chevelle and I loved that car
I've seen some clean chevells but nothing as mint as this on,
I'l get pic when I go look it and post, I would be interest in that your thoughts are,

Not the same car but the one for sale is in better shape.
0b9a966056eafe4597792e27ae555449.jpg

Cool car. I had a 68’ Malibu. She had a 350 that had been bored out to about a 390 with a 3-speed column shifter. Pass anything but a gas station. Car was so rotted out the only thing between you and the road was the floor mat. Love that old junk but for the prices folks want for it, I like new iron a bit better.

My first was a 68 Chevelle Malibu, seafoam green with black vinyl top. A real sleeper with a 327 that dyno'd at 350 HP bolted to a 400 Turbohydramtic. Could take 396s all day long in the 1/4 mile.
Really the only car I've owned that I'd buy again if I had the chance.
This isn't mine, just a picture from the in interwebs.
1968-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu.jpeg.jpg

What would you pay for a original (not retro mod) hot rod 69 with all matching vin numbers in original condition in near mint condition?
Has the original 327 and 4 speed auto transmission with a 289 rear end. Has factory AC but it doesn't work but can be fixed. New tires with all new shocks and springs. It's no rust in any way, pretty much all stock with new paint and clear coat. This thing looks like it was just drove off the showroom floor. Motor Dynoed at 400 hp but not at rear wheels.
I'm going to go take another look at it next week. Gonna take a good retro car guy with me and go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Been seeing 69's from a few thousand in rough shape to full ground up resto of upwards to 60K. It's been garage keep so it's in emasculate condition from what I've seen so far. A full inspection will come when I go look at it since it local and only 20 min drive. Car is in spring Teaxs.

Car prices are all over the place. The only number that really matters is what somebody is willing to pay for the vehicle. Big problem with “classic” cars around here is proper storage. Most stuff here sits for 6 long months of hard winter. Vermin are merciless. Even with a decent garage upkeep is a lot of work. It is amazing how much dust falls on a car in a week. New ride had X-PEL paint protection put on at the dealership. Don’t know how long it will hold up but it does make maintenance easier.

Car prices are all over the place. The only number that really matters is what somebody is willing to pay for the vehicle. Big problem with “classic” cars around here is proper storage. Most stuff here sits for 6 long months of hard winter. Vermin are merciless. Even with a decent garage upkeep is a lot of work. It is amazing how much dust falls on a car in a week. New ride had X-PEL paint protection put on at the dealership. Don’t know how long it will hold up but it does make maintenance easier.

I have some race quads that sit in my cargo trailer and they never get dust on them. It's pretty air tight. I can wash it and put it in the trailer and 6 months later it still looks like I just washed it.But you are right, you need a climate controlled garage and a car cover to keep it clean. Plus a few dozen rat bait traps to keep vermin away. But if I had a nice collector car, I would be driving it on nice weekends and enjoying it. I never understood buying a show piece and never using it. Things are meant to be used, not just to look at. Otherwise why have it.
Since I don't race anymore I might have to sell my race quads and cargo trailer and get a bigger car enclosed cargo trailer to store it in. Or build a climate controlled garage to keep it in. It's not a done deal yet, but I would like to have it, if the price is right.

I think clear coat became the norm in the 1980’s for GM. Earlier than that it was conventional paint. Early clear coat was terrible. Modern is actually very durable. I just sold a 2005 Camry that lived outside all its life and had over 200K on the clicker. Only washed and waxed that car on the day before I sold it. If you ignored the stone chips, the paint was like new with only one small blemish on the trunk. True “unrestored” vintage cars were actually very collectable several years ago. New rage around here are rat rods. The worse they look the better they like em. The 69 chevy in question has probably been repainted several times.

clearcoat keeps you from waxwing it to keep the showroom shine with minimal work..clear keeps the hand wax look with minimal work and protects the shine, It eliminates waxing it ever week. and protects against UV damage,

Had a Buick 1970 version of that Chevelle Malibu ( Skylark same color scheme- White interior though). It was a great car. But around here by 10 years of age things are pretty well trashed from road deicing agents.

You ask worth. Here in Michigan a 1969 Chevell brings from 31,000 to 45,000.

GM factory paint for many years was horriable. see lots of 70's thru early 90's with paint that looks like it blew off in sheets in the wind.

A new paint job with clear coat is the cats meow. 3 coats of epoxie sealer primer, 4 coats of base colors and 4 coats of clear. the paint and labor isn't cheap.

pFULReT.jpg

Winter storage is a fresh waxing, engine bay cleaned and black out rubbed in on inter fender wells and radator shroud. Ran inside covered. tennis ball in exhust pipe and decon set out all around and under the car.

Al

I was suposed to go to they guy's house and take a closer look at it yesterday but I wasn't feeling up to it. He lives very close so I'll shoot for another day. We spent about an hour on the phone the other day. He is ready to sell because he has another project he wants to finish.

Make sure the vin starts with 138 if hes saying it's an SS . All 65 thru 1968 SS Chevelles started with 138 . In 1969 that all changed you need paperwork to prove its an SS . Canadian built cars are easy to get paperwork . GM of Canada kept all the records of the cars they built. American built there are no arcives

clearcoat keeps you from waxwing it to keep the showroom shine with minimal work..clear keeps the hand wax look with minimal work and protects the shine, It eliminates waxing it ever week. and protects against UV damage,
Not really clear coat needs wax too. Look at all the cars that's it peeling off . That's sun damage . Yes it does offer UV protection but it still needs to be maintained. Clear was a shortcut and cheaper for the manufacturer. Very thin base coat covered by clear.

You ask worth. Here in Michigan a 1969 Chevell brings from 31,000 to 45,000.

GM factory paint for many years was horriable. see lots of 70's thru early 90's with paint that looks like it blew off in sheets in the wind.

A new paint job with clear coat is the cats meow. 3 coats of epoxie sealer primer, 4 coats of base colors and 4 coats of clear. the paint and labor isn't cheap.

pFULReT.jpg

Winter storage is a fresh waxing, engine bay cleaned and black out rubbed in on inter fender wells and radator shroud. Ran inside covered. tennis ball in exhust pipe and decon set out all around and under the car.

Al
It wasn't the paint. The primer wasn't compatible with the top coat . We were doing 2 to 3 complete paints on GMs cars in the mid 80s to early 90s. Like you said it came off in sheets but the primer held

GM never offered a 427 in a 1968 Chevelle so there’s no chance it’s # matching...there are more 307 Malibu‘s dressed as BB Chevelle‘s than #138 cars were ever actually produced.

I just noticed this thread because I’m currently trying to work a deal with a guy wanting to swap my Vette for his ’69 SS Chevelle.

GM never offered a 427 in a 1968 Chevelle so there’s no chance it’s # matching...there are more 307 Malibu‘s dressed as BB Chevelle‘s than #138 cars were ever actually produced.

I just noticed this thread because I’m currently trying to work a deal with a guy wanting to swap my Vette for his ’69 SS Chevelle.
I've given up on it cause he wants to much. It's not the only chevelle on the market.

Back